Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...

Article about: Knowledge of history and geography are essential in the search for old pieces of textiles as well as the people who made them. Postscriptum: someone else can post pictures of the training in

Default Re: What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...

Knowledge of history and geography are essential in the search for old pieces of textiles as well as the people who made them. Postscriptum: someone else can post pictures of the training institutions of the SS Verfuegungstruppe and other branches of the SS, can they not?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...   What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...  

What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...   What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    As Mr. Bruce has noted, I have included several tutorials here on this theme. An authentic SS Junkerschule Toelz or Braunschweig uniform is a costly proposition, and said piece in this thread is a poor fake.

Here some over seen illustrations.

Seekers of truth have only to look at our tutorials and learn a lot.

Foetid woolens are not for the faint of heart or those who want to take short cuts.
    The insignia on the second tunic confuses me. Shouldn't it have the Abschnitt number in the collar tab as well as on the cuff title?

Quote by Walter View Post
    The insignia on the second tunic confuses me. Shouldn't it have the Abschnitt number in the collar tab as well as on the cuff title?
    It confused me, too, but it is one of several that exist in this form, i.e. with a roman numeral on the sleeve which I infer to mean a member of the Sturmbann staff. I own a second with the same format, as does Bob Coleman. Mollo or the less useful works make no mention of this kind of insignia in use, but the tunic as you see it was sold by Manions in 1978 in just this configuration.

The secondary reference works poorly treat the Allgemeine SS, which was constantly being reorganized, as is the case with many para military and military organizations, you know.

The uniform is wholly real as are the insignia. I actually bought pieces in the 1978 Manion's catalog in which this piece was first sold. When Bob Clark showed the uniform some years ago, there was much confusion about it, but other examples exist with a roman numeral on the sleeve and arabic numeral on the collar.

The works in German on the organization of the Allgemeine SS are quite helpful on this score. Lumsden's book is first rate, but there are a lot of "unknown unknowns" in this connection.
    Attached Images Attached Images What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...  What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?... 

Viz: these photos are courtesy of Gottlieb and Bob Coleman.
    Attached Images Attached Images What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...  What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...  What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?... 

?

Thank you for this new insight.

Quote by Walter View Post
    Thank you for this new insight.
    My idea is a guess based on the extant examples, two of which I own by a total fluke. I do not know whether this custom was officially permitted, or an Eigenmaechtigkeit, but it existed and makes sense if one reads the rank lists. The staffs were the core organization of the Allgemeine SS, since the bulk of its members were part timers.

The Saarbruecken uniform is a nice piece, and when I got it in the present decade via Bob Coleman, I did not realize that I had purchased a couple of pieces from the catalog when it first appeared more than 30 years ago. I still own one of the caps I bought then. I cannot scan the images, but I still have the original catalog. The Saaz uniform is from post 1938, in fact.

There is much about this regalia we do not know, and no one seems to care, as all the effort resounds to the SS Totenkopfverbaende and die Ritterkreuztraeger der Waffen SS.

Happy woolens and odd embroidery to one and all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...  

klaus
    ?

Abolument fausse.
    bien à vous.
    Klaus

Notice so called Wiener Naht (that is the seams on the shoulder blades) on authentic examples in contrast to this piece. at the lead of this thread.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...   What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...  

Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-08-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Some further Toelz insignia with apologies to the owner on the Wehrmact site, but the image is germane here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you guys think about this SS Tunic?...  

an authentic cuff title in detail, and NOT my property. The person who began this thread has long vanished.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast