Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Would like opinions on my SS Götz von Berlichingen Tunic...

Article about: Hi all, I received this tunic today from the nephew of a woman who was a teenager in Germany at the end of the war (she recently passed away). The story his Aunt told about the tunic is uniq

?

Default Re: Would like opinions on my SS Götz von Berlichingen Tunic...

I like it and would leave it just like it is. The first SS tunic I "almost" bought was a GvB. After I got a loan (I know, stupid. But I was a college kid at the time) to buy it, the guy changed his mind and wouldn't sell it to me. He wanted $750 for it. This was back in the late 70's when Heer tunics were $75 to $150. Sure wish I could have got it...
    You have a nice tunic, hang on to it!

Best Regards,
    Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would like opinions on my SS Götz von Berlichingen Tunic...
    P
    Many

Congrats Darren on a great find, by the comments that were made sounds like you done very well. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for the amazing feedback everyone! I was pretty excited to get this tunic, but when (on Wehrmacht Awards) several members mentioned the cuff title being too low, the boards not being correct, the tabs being applied post-war (still unsure why they think that), and pretty much classifying it as a post-war put together (with period pieces), it bummed me out a bit. I agree with parts of their assessment, don't get me wrong, but several of you are adding some more facts that really help this tunic out (e.g. Adrian's comment regarding the cuff title). I think I'll keep it as-is, with the current boards.

Question... what would have likely been attached to the two horizontal looks that are lowest on the pleat of the left breast pocket? It would have had a horizontal pin, and would have been fairly narrow in order to not butt up against the badge directly to its left. Thoughts??

I can't think of an Army award with a horizontal pin that would fit in the space provided, so you could be looking at at a political or a foreign award.

Will keep looking, meantime.

?

Thanks Bochmann. Let me know what you find. I'm wondering if it could be for a party pin, but I've never seen any photos where a party pin was worn along side the awards.

Sorry to say but I came up empty as far as the the award was concerned and the only thing that I can think that would be a possible is not a parteiabzeichen but an HJ Sharpshooter award as these were worn by troops who were young enough at the time of their joining the SS in lieu of proper military awards.
    You could also add a HJ Leistungsabzeichen too in silver to the left and a wound badge or sports badge above as both of these are possible.

I also know that I am "winging it" a bit here but what I have proposed is not outwith the bounds of possibility as those who had not yet earned combat awards often resorted to wearing non combat stand in's like the SA/DRL sports, HJ badges like the Potsdam badge/Gold diamond, and the SA Treffen badge in order to bolster or confirm their standing within the unit as "good" reliable individuals and also because they were allowed to do so.

Hope this helps.

?

Hi Bochmann. Thanks so much for your help. Would a Panzer Badge work on the upper left loops, black wound badge lower left, and EK1 on the center pleat? Then I'll just have to find something like you suggested to fit the two horizontal loops below the EK1.

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Thanks for the amazing feedback everyone! I was pretty excited to get this tunic, but when (on Wehrmacht Awards) several members mentioned the cuff title being too low, the boards not being correct, the tabs being applied post-war (still unsure why they think that), and pretty much classifying it as a post-war put together (with period pieces), it bummed me out a bit. I agree with parts of their assessment, don't get me wrong, but several of you are adding some more facts that really help this tunic out (e.g. Adrian's comment regarding the cuff title). I think I'll keep it as-is, with the current boards.

Question... what would have likely been attached to the two horizontal looks that are lowest on the pleat of the left breast pocket? It would have had a horizontal pin, and would have been fairly narrow in order to not butt up against the badge directly to its left. Thoughts??
    I would not take too much serious on what they say on the SS forum on the waf...There are obvious why many members have left that forum and why many advanced collectors never post their items on the SS forum on the waf. It´s full of "self promoted experts" and everything that´s not textbook is either fake or post war restored. I have seen many threads over there where many of the "experts" starts shouting fake directly until some of the real experts as Mr Hritz or mr Coleman chimes in and say original and after that they either comes with excuses that they used their Iphones or was not really awake a when they looked, or they are total silent. And they are often very rude against new collectors on the ss forum too. Other categories on the waf is good but not the SS for sure... This forum on the other hand is a treasure for any collector!

Darren,
    I would not put a panzerabz. on the tunic, I would have restricted the badges to 1 military like an infantrie abzeichen in silver (as the wearer is possibly ex gebrigsjager) together with the HJ badges I mentioned and an HJ diamond. I would not put an EK1 on the tunic as there is no EK2 ribbon on it or russian front or KVK. You could get round this by adding a ribbon bar but I would not as sometimes you can add too many badges.
    As it is not my tunic, you can add any badges that you want, I was just trying to apply some logic to what badges were perhaps there in the first place and GvB was a Panzergrenadier Division not a Panzer Division, so most of its strength was still infantry based.
    I know that the preceding information sounds a bit like a lecture, but I only seek to assist here and have no wish to do anything other than help.

Quote by Badto666 View Post
    I would not take too much serious on what they say on the SS forum on the waf...There are obvious why many members have left that forum and why many advanced collectors never post their items on the SS forum on the waf. It´s full of "self promoted experts" and everything that´s not textbook is either fake or post war restored. I have seen many threads over there where many of the "experts" starts shouting fake directly until some of the real experts as Mr Hritz or mr Coleman chimes in and say original and after that they either comes with excuses that they used their Iphones or was not really awake a when they looked, or they are total silent. And they are often very rude against new collectors on the ss forum too. Other categories on the waf is good but not the SS for sure... This forum on the other hand is a treasure for any collector!
    Well said and quite true.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast