Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 SS uniform?

Article about: Thanks everyone. I knew it was authentic but had no idea these things were valuable until a few days ago when I started searching online. There's some writing on the back of the metal crest

Default Re: WW2 SS uniform?

Quote by sophie View Post
    What I mostly treasure are the photographs of him from WW2, his pow journal and the medal he made himself as a prisoner of war.
    If you ever feel inclined, please post some of these. I would love to see them. Do you know at all how your grandfather came into possession of the tunic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 SS uniform?
    P
    Many

yes, if you can, please post the pictures! it would be very interesting to see them.

it's ok that you don't have any sentimental connection to your grandfathers medals and such, but you should really make sure that you hang on to them tight and keep them in nice shape for any future generations in your family. they may have a great connection to them.

Regards,
    Finn

We celebrate the memory of your grand father and also thank you for showing us your very fine possession.

Just to sound like a broken record, but this is a very nice tunic and please don't sell! I figure this is one of those pieces that you build the rest of your collection around it. Find related pieces and put it together. Its a rare enough item that what you find will be expensive, but you will not find it very often!

Secondly, for the powers that be. When did the transition happen for the Nederlander units from the SS rune collar tab to the other version? Or did German cadre wear the runes and the locals wear the Nederlander ones?

-Martin

the volunteers wore their own distinctive tab while the German cadre wore the Runic patches,,,i believe it was Himmler that determined only "Germanic" units would be granted the privilege of wearing the Sigrunen

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The metal crest I think is for some sub echelon of the 4th Infantry division of the US Army.
    I found it: It is the crest for the 30th Infantry Regiment, which is a component of the 3rd Infantry Division of the U.S. Army.

Here is a graphic rendition of the crest:
    30th Infantry Regiment (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I found it: It is the crest for the 30th Infantry Regiment, which is a component of the 3rd Infantry Division of the U.S. Army.

Here is a graphic rendition of the crest:
    30th Infantry Regiment (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Whoops. I though it was the 4th Division. Sorry. Thank you for your diligence. Wie dumm von mir.

?

I have to thank you guys again. I had a far lower price in my head when I started looking into this and wasn't having much luck finding anything to compare it to. It's not in as good condition as the other tunic posted unfortunately. A couple of quarter size holes on the back arm area and a smaller one on the front right pocket. I'm emailing some relatives to see if they remember anything my grandfather might have said about it's origins. If I find anything out I'll be sure to post it here.

Anyway, here's a photo of the medal my grandfather made as a prisoner of war-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 SS uniform?   WW2 SS uniform?  

?

That's a very interesting badge he made. At first I obviously thought Parachutist but the wings are more like the ones on a Pilot's badge. Do you know if he was a flyer?

?

He was a bombardier. I think the parachute represents how he ended up as a POW. His plane was shot down over Italy and he had to bail out.

I spoke with my aunt yesterday and she said at the end of the war
    the guys were told they could take anything they wanted from the camp and that's how he ended up with it. Her memory is pretty vague but she thinks there might be a photo of the officer it belonged to with his military stuff. I'm going to start sorting through things and see if I can find it.

She actually has part of the uniform packed away in a storage unit.
    It's a piece of cloth with embroidery with a swastika on it.
    I was thinking perhaps this is the arm band?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast