MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

EM Krätzchen: WW1 German Field caps/Feldmutze

Article about: Anton, super caps ! I like the covers for your Pickelhaubes too ! your cammo band has the same markings as mine, 3rd Bavarian Army Korps 1917, great stuff, the markings in your "Dunkelb

I would pass on it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks very much Ade.

Priced at £150, and even cheaper with the 10% discount, its still a bit pricey for a repro. Andy Beal does sell some good stuff from time to time, but with him it really is 'buyer beware.'

?

Thanks Steve. He has some nice stuff but I suppose some of it needs to be looked at in hand before buying.

?

I too would pass on this piece.

Quote by aicusv View Post
    I too would pass on this piece.
    Well, I see the dust settled just under $185. I would have given it a shot, even without cockades, but am glad to see my own "newness" to Feldmuetzen had me questioning this.

I see a few with the feldgrau wool looking the same--I would almost venture a guess at older movie costuming, or are select repros going back a couple of decades from reenactors what is hitting the market?

At least it is not as bad as the sting of that Bavarian on e that sold recently, with only a good band cover to show for the $450 purchase price.

EM Krätzchen:  WW1 German Field caps/Feldmutze

?

I have been watching this post for a while now and I am now worried as this Bavarian Feldmutze is a Christmas gift to me from my wife. Please explain why you have doubts over this as I can send it back.

I have been collecting for over 20 years and once in a while you get stung!

Regards Delboy

I was watching the Feldmütze myself, both for what I considered overpricing, and feeling something was not right about it. The wool, which you can see a weave clearly, is one such issue. The markings--particularly the way the BA mark has "Bay." after it--do not seem right. I have been watching Bavarian items heavily for a number of months, but am a small-time collector. I keep looking and asking, and after this sold posed the cap to a forum, where Chip brought up these issues.

Bavarian caps should have B.A> I, B.A. II, and B.D. III markings. The BDIII, which happens to be on the band, ~usually~ will have a number blocked in, on the left side of the box, such as the 200 on your band, which is good.

There seem to be a lot of Feldmützen turning up that have 'about' the right colour to the wool, but look more like they were made out of an old thrift store find skirt of jacket, and used for stage or reenacting.

Quote by delboy View Post
    I have been watching this post for a while now and I am now worried as this Bavarian Feldmutze is a Christmas gift to me from my wife. Please explain why you have doubts over this as I can send it back.

I have been collecting for over 20 years and once in a while you get stung!

Regards Delboy

Great thread.
    As it was old, there were a lot of dead links which were removed to make it more user-friendly.
    Also, pix of non-Feldmuetzen were moved to more appropriate threads.
    Please continue to post all field caps here....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

On the Feldmutze should there always be a small piece of red felt/material behind the Reichs Kokarde? As the Feldmutze I have purchased has not.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast