Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Feldrabbiner

Article about: Field Rabbis wore a Star of David in lieu of the cross on their visors, but with a standard Chaplain's armband. Sali Levi:

Leo Baeck, who was interned at Theresienstadt during the war:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldrabbiner  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Feldrabbi who was decorated with the EK2:
    Attached Images Attached Images Feldrabbiner 

I believe this to also be Rabbi Taenzer:

This is attributed to the Feldrabbiner, due to the fact that it lacks a cross, however, not all Chappies wore the cross, just as some Feldrabbiner did not wear the Star of David.

Credit: timp_be

Quote by stonemint View Post
    So true, and murdered by the same country they fought for.
    An unusual subject when we are mostly used to discussing things with which we are so familiar in this hobby. It is good to be considering something out of the ordinary for a change so thanks for that.

It is so very ironic that these men who I am sure saw themselves as patriots in the service of their own nation and some who earned the iconic and stereotypically german EK, should end up merely 20 years later suffering the fate most if not all surely did. It is also worth considering that the number of rabbis in the army was proportionate to the total of jewish soldiers who ended up in the same position. I suppose the best one can hope for is that some of them died as patriots in WWI before the corruption of the state.

That said, this is very good reference material.

Regards

Mark

Another point of interest for me is that the EK2 ribbons in these pictures seem to be the standard type rather than the non-combattant variant I would expect to see worn by clergy in uniform.

I am not expert on the imperial medals so I wonder if anyone here can clarify the criteria for the use of the non-combattant ribbon to the WWI EK2?

For any who don't know the ribbon of which I am asking here is a pic of the two side by side.

Feldrabbiner

Regards

Mark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3