Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1907/10 Kraetzchen!

Article about: by ObKrieger Thanks guys! Steve- Is is possible to put this cap in a specific time frame? Am I correct in saying that it could have been used at any point from 1907 to 1917, with the introdu

Default M1907/10 Kraetzchen!

Hi guys,

The cloth headgear gods really must like me. Today I walked into a local antique shop, where I found a pickelhaube and this cap. They knew what the pickelhaube was, and it was labeled and priced accordingly. This cap was lying on top of the helmet. I picked up the cap and looked at the tag: "Military Hat, $20". I don't think I have ever purchased a piece of militaria as quickly as I did then.

Anyway, I could be wrong, but I think it is just a basic and very tired old M1907/10 German field cap. The sweatband is unattached in several places, and there is plenty of mothing. But I am positive that it is an original and honest cap, "straight out of the attic" some might say. The wool feels very thick. Is it just me, or is that indicative of an early cap?

I would really appreciate any further info! Is this restorable? All I basically would like to do is resew the sweatband and give it a better shape.

Thanks,
    Mo

P.S. What are the black buttons on the side for?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1907/10 Kraetzchen!   M1907/10 Kraetzchen!  

M1907/10 Kraetzchen!   M1907/10 Kraetzchen!  

M1907/10 Kraetzchen!   M1907/10 Kraetzchen!  

M1907/10 Kraetzchen!  

Default Re: M1907/10 Kraetzchen!

It's possible that it had a small peak at one time - a visor
    originally - perhaps this is why the headband has
    separated from the front.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    It's possible that it had a small peak at one time - a visor
    originally - perhaps this is why the headband has
    separated from the front.........
    Hey Steve, I was thinking the same thing too. Perhaps the buttons on the side were for the chinstrap, then.

The only reason for buttons being there, I'd guess - The headband
    seems to be unstitched from button to button.

Do the buttons look like they have always been attached.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

They do! And you are absolutely correct, the sweatband is unattached from button to button. I'm pretty sure it did have a visor, then.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were the visored caps for officers?

(My WWI German cloth headgear knowledge is amateur at best...)

Well, I'm not really an authority either - it was like, an 'educated guess'.
    I think you have found a very nice WWI cap. ( Nothing like this ever
    turns up around here. If it does, I miss it by days or hours.........)
    Regards,

Steve.

Looks like a private purchase NCO's (NCO style cockades attached) model 1907 field grey service cap....these visor caps were never issued, but the old tradition of NCO's wearing peaked caps was continued upon the introduction of the M1907/10 field grey uniforms and they (NCO's) could purchase their own visor caps....this example, believe it or not, could be restored. Best person to ask about such a restoration would be Tony, member Spandau. The price was very good !
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Hi guys,

The cloth headgear gods really must like me. Today I walked into a local antique shop, where I found a pickelhaube and this cap. They knew what the pickelhaube was, and it was labeled and priced accordingly. This cap was lying on top of the helmet. I picked up the cap and looked at the tag: "Military Hat, $20". I don't think I have ever purchased a piece of militaria as quickly as I did then.

Anyway, I could be wrong, but I think it is just a basic and very tired old M1907/10 German field cap. The sweatband is unattached in several places, and there is plenty of mothing. But I am positive that it is an original and honest cap, "straight out of the attic" some might say. The wool feels very thick. Is it just me, or is that indicative of an early cap?

I would really appreciate any further info! Is this restorable? All I basically would like to do is resew the sweatband and give it a better shape.

Thanks,
    Mo

P.S. What are the black buttons on the side for?
    Great find! Any pic's of the Haube.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks guys!

Steve- Is is possible to put this cap in a specific timeframe? Am I correct in saying that it could have been used at any point from 1907 to 1917, with the indroduction of the M17 einheitsmuetze? I will also tank to Tony about restoration work.

Kris- I will stop there today and get some photos for you. There might be some more WWI stuff! I pretty much snagged this cap and ran out...

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Well, I'm not really an authority either - it was like, an 'educated guess'.
    I think you have found a very nice WWI cap. ( Nothing like this ever
    turns up around here. If it does, I miss it by days or hours.........)
    Here in the U.S. we can find stahlhelme pretty easily. However I have never seen any WWI cloth headgear for sale in any shops. I have only seen them online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast