Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on a nice early field type visor cap PLEASE.

Article about: Hi, A friend of mine recently presented me with the above mentioned cap. The cap carries some damage but is, in my opinion, none-the-less original and possibly quite scarce. Judging by the i

Default Opinions on a nice early field type visor cap PLEASE.

Hi, A friend of mine recently presented me with the above mentioned cap. The cap carries some damage but is, in my opinion, none-the-less original and possibly quite scarce. Judging by the internal stampings, it was a military issue item?? However for whom and whether it was carried over into TR (SA perhaps?? use is, to me at least, conjecture. Ergo the opinions of more knowledgeable collectors thin I would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any opinion that may be proffered.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

Opinions on a nice early field type visor cap PLEASE.)

?

Michael,
    This type of cap was worn in Palestine and Macedonia in WWI. It is of course missing the lower state cockade.
    The KBAG stamp is for the clothing department of the Garde Korps.
    I cannot be certain if this is an authentic cap, but it looks promising; it would be quite rare, I believe.

BobS

Hi Bob, Thank you very much for your response to this thread. I was given the cap and I am fairly certain that it is original given its condition etc??

Thank you once again and best wishes Michael R

Michael, looks good to me as well from these photos.
    Very rare cap....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Thank you for your comments Stnemint!!
    Regards Michael R

?

I based my post on what I read in the Verlag Militaria book ( a GREAT series) on the German Army of the First World War. There are photos of a similar cap, with the KBAG stamp inside.
    I'm not aware of any Garde units serving in Palestine; perhaps in Macedonia?

BobS

Hi Bob, Thank you for the update on this cap. Please pardon my ignorance on the subject what is the "KBAG" stamp a symbol of? Who would have worn the cap and what rank(s) would wear it please. Any information you may have would be appreciated as I have none!!! LOL!!

Cheers Michael

?

Michael,
    KBAG stamp denotes the clothing dept. of the Garde Corps in Berlin ( or Potsdam ). I do not know if any Garde units actually served in Macedonia, with Bulgarian troops, or in Palestine, with the Ottoman Turks. I believe the numbers seving in Palestine were quite small.
    The cap is for enlisted ranks, given the Imperial cockade; it should also have mounted below a state cockade, likely the black/ white/ black for Prussia. Not a lot of info on these specific caps.

BobS

Hi Bob, Thank you very much for the information I will keep my eyes open for a Prussian cockade to match the one still on the cap. One last question if I may? When you say "Garde Corps" is this similar to our Guards Division or does it have a different meaning?

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

?

The old Imperial German Garde Korps was similar to the current British Guards Division, or the old Brigade of Guards, plus the Household Cavalry.
    It was much larger though; if I recall, two infantry divisions, and a cavalry division. Quite a few regiments, but few with the antiquity and service of their British counterparts. Some regiments were founded as late as 1866.
    The German Garde Korps, and the Russian Imperial Guards were very large; probably close to 50,000 troops each.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast