Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Feldmutz - odd behaviour under UV light ?

Article about: Hi all, Has anyone come across this sort of thing before? I have a pretty grubby Feldmutz here. Some moth / wear marks to the red band and piping. When it’s looked at under black light, the

Default WW1 Feldmutz - odd behaviour under UV light ?

Hi all,

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before?
    I have a pretty grubby Feldmutz here. Some moth / wear marks to the red band and piping.
    When it’s looked at under black light, the visible white thread in the bead and also the white material behind the red bad sections glows nicely.
    What’s got me a little confused is that the interior cloth and also the cockades show no signs of a reaction.
    I’m guessing it’s the not original WW1 vintage due to the reaction, but I’m aware of comments in the past that “UV light” isn’t always the clear cut.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on if this is normal behaviour for a repro.

Also – I don’t have a known good cap to compare with, any thoughts in the originality of the type of wool / cloth and cockade construction.

Pics below, thanks for any replies in advance.

WW1 Feldmutz  - odd behaviour under UV light ?WW1 Feldmutz  - odd behaviour under UV light ?WW1 Feldmutz  - odd behaviour under UV light ?WW1 Feldmutz  - odd behaviour under UV light ?WW1 Feldmutz  - odd behaviour under UV light ?WW1 Feldmutz  - odd behaviour under UV light ?WW1 Feldmutz  - odd behaviour under UV light ?

Perhaps, someone washed it sometime over the 100 year lifetime?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

UV is a meaningless diagnostic device. German industry pioneered synthetic dyes in the 19th century. Other factors may or may not weigh against your cap - but not UV. I have an article about this on my other computer that systematically picks apart the UV myth. I'll try to find it and post it.

Wollheim Memorial

Thanks for the replies, I'd be very interested to read the article on UV if you can find it please.

If anyone else can comment on the cap from the photos or any others I can take please let me know, it would be nice to know if it's a repro or original.

Cheers...