Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Austro-Hingarian Shell Casing

Article about: Hi All My 86 year old Hungarian mother gave me an artillery shell casing recently (see image), which she says her Grand Father brought back from WW1 after his stint in the Austro-Hungarian a

Default Austro-Hingarian Shell Casing

Hi All

My 86 year old Hungarian mother gave me an artillery shell casing recently (see image), which she says her Grand Father brought back from WW1 after his stint in the Austro-Hungarian army.

It was apparently used as a vase for many years until one of the family in Europe sent it to us here in Australia (you can still see the cork that my Great Grand Father is purported to have put into the firing pin hole to keep the water in).

Based on the stampings on the base, it's clearly an 80mm munition that was made in 1914, but I'm just wondering if anyone out there might be able to identify some of the other markings and confirm if it is indeed an Austro-Hungarian artillery shell casing as she was told by my Great Grand Father.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be rendered.

PS Nice site by the way, I had no idea there were so many war relic enthusiasts out there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austro-Hingarian Shell Casing  

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    We do have members here that will be able to help you but you might require a little patience as we are from all around the globe and do follow different time zones.
    Nice casing by the way!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thought I'd post an image of the main body of the shell ... after I polished it up, that is ... it was pretty badly tarnished by the time I got my hands on it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austro-Hingarian Shell Casing  

That looks like the Austro-Hungarian crest between CS and 14.

This is the gun:-

http://www.landships.info/landships/...kanone_M5.html

I will try and identify the manufacturer.

Greetings and welcome aboard!

Your shell was manufactured at the Manfréd Weiss Steel and Metal Works in “Csepel,” (hence the CS) which is now part of the city of Budapest. The logo under the Hungarian seal is Manfréd Weiss’ company logo/monogram. The small cross on the bottom right indicates this shell was re-loaded once.

Neat family connection, thank you for posting.

Regards,

Lance

Thanks for the info Gents, very much appreciated.
    I'll let my Mum know the details as well, as I'm sure she'd be interested.

By the way, forgot to mention that my avatar is the man himself, my Great Grand Father ... Istvan Federer