Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12

Article about: Dear Friends, I am pleased to post some information on holsters for handguns of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I will underline the distinctive aspects of the various models and I will refer t

Default The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12

Dear Friends,
    I am pleased to post some information on holsters for handguns of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
    I will underline the distinctive aspects of the various models and I will refer to regulations of the time.
    I apologize for any grammar error and any possible misunderstanding/mismatch in content of the thread.
    Kind regards
    Enrico

The following picture illustrates all the Types of the K.u.K., K.K. and K.u. Holsters I have found collecting Militaria.

The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12

THE FIRST TYPE HOLSTER (ALTER ART) ("A" in the picture and table)

The first type of holster is that adopted for the semiautomatic pistol Roth M07, caliber 8mm.
    There are three variants: one with a rear loop to hang it to the belt (pistolentasche ohne umhängriemen), the second with a shoulder strap to carry it (pistolentasche umhängriemen mit) and the third with a very special kind of suspension (pistolentasche für offiziere) (Offelli, S. Le armi e gli equipaggiamenti dell’esercito austro-ungarico dal 1914 al 1918, volume primo, pag. 217).

TRANSITIONAL HOLSTERS ("B" - "C" - "D" in the picture and table)

The holsters that are placed between the first and the second Type, at my initiative, will be called “transitional” Type. The criterion used in the description of these holsters is morphological, but, in my opinion, the exterior expresses a functional concept. So following the development of external form we will also appreciate the intention to gradually improve the ergonomics and robustness of objects that had to demonstrate ease of use and durability
    What happens in the Transitional Type? Were operated changes which mainly concern: (1) the mode of closure of the storage box ammunition (which is hooked via a tab to the pin-retaining flap), (2) the morphology of the zone relative to the handle of the gun (which remains uncovered thus facilitating both the grip and the extraction), (3) the junction between top ammunition box and its lid (which a variable number of rivets fixed upper and lower), (4) the position of the pin-retaining flap (which enters significantly towards the median line of the holster) and (5) the distance between the rivets that secure the rear shoulder strap (which approach one another significantly).
    These changes will occur in stages.
    Holsters that enclose the grip of the gun are dedicated to Roth M07, while those that leave free can be used both by Roth M07 and the Steyr M12; it is evident that having the handle free represents a major advantage when the weapon has to be taken quickly. Even the disappearance of the buckle, which closed the ammunition box, is advantage in reaching the ammunition clips for a quick refueling. Modifications on the strength of the closure between top ammunition box and its lid are made over time in order to increase its wear resistance.
    There are three variants: one with a rear loop to hang it to the belt (pistolentasche ohne umhängriemen), the second with a shoulder strap (pistolentasche umhängriemen mit) and the third with a very special kind of suspension (pistolentasche für offiziere) (Offelli, S. Le armi e gli equipaggiamenti dell’esercito austro-ungarico dal 1914 al 1918, volume primo, pag. 218).

THE SECOND TYPE HOLSTER (NEUER ART) ("E" in the picture and table)

The so-called First Type began as a small jewel of harness, as the case of a precious gem: the weapon is completely surrounded and protected, and the ammunition trunk has even a buckle with a buckle that holds it closed. Well, a little safe. Who has designed it, I believe, has not even bothered to see how it changed the profile of the weapon with the ammo in the chamber: the firing pin of Roth M07 protrudes conspicuously. In almost all cases it is not possible to store the weapon with the chamber and be able to close the flap to metal peg... the flap does not get it!
    The Transitional Types bring our holsters to their final appearance, packaging workshop of the Belle Époque gradually move away to make room for a configuration that is, before all things, functionally useful on the battlefield.
    The Second Type is very attractive from an aesthetic point of view and it is very functional, always referring to the functional criterions of the era and not to the actual ones. Also the assembly has undergone some modification: the outer part is now constituted by a single cut of skin, without the vertical seam between trunk and ammunition body that characterized the first model. Similarly, the rear loop for the belt always presents two lines of stitching overlapping instead of one. Among these holsters, we will find the version with belt and shoulder strap, found room both for Roth M07 and Steyr M12 (Offelli, S. Le armi e gli equipaggiamenti dell’esercito austro-ungarico dal 1914 al 1918, volume primo, pag. 219).

Default Re: The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12

THE HOLSTER AND THEIR SUBSEQUENT ADDITIONS IN THE ADJUSTIERUNG
    The holster that appears in the Regulation (Adjustierung) for the Imperial and Royal Army of 1910 Part I is devoted to Roth M07 cal. 8mm. This is an alter art holster, highlighted by the letter "A" in the picture and the table shown previously. In 1910 the Steyr cal. 9mm has yet to see the light. The Roth M07 has the typically "Wn_Doppeladler_double-digit arabic" over the time between 09-10-11-12-13 for Steyr’s production and 11-12-13-14 for that Budapest (Central Powers Pistols Jan C. Still, p. 329).

The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12

The holster that appears in the Regulation (Adjustierung) for the KK Landwehr Part I of 1911 is still devoted to Roth M07 cal. 8mm. It is a transitional holster, as evidenced by the letter "B" in the picture and in the table outlined above. In 1911 the Steyr cal. 9mm has yet to be introduced into the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The Steyr M12 has the typically "Wn_Doppeladler_double-digit arabic " in the timeframe between 14-15-16-17-18 (Pistols Central Powers, Jan C. Still, p. 334).

The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12

- - Updated - -

The holster that appears in the addenda of 1912 and 1913 is a Transitional Type, marked with the letter "C" in the picture and the table shown previously. It fits by far the Roth M07 and probably began to be designed for the Steyr M12.
    In essence, the Roth M07 can enter all the holsters ("A" - "B" - "C" - "D" - "E")! The Steyr M12 find its housing in holsters that allow the opening to the pistol grip ("C" - "D" - "E").

I have no further documentation to demonstrate the commissioning of holsters "D" and "E" of the photo and the table, however, there is a wide photographic documentation that compensates this lack of “official” sources.

The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12

STAMPS can be found inside the flap

Common Army: first image

Landwehr (Austrian territorial Army): second image

Honvéd (Hungarian territorial Army): third image

The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12The Austro-Hungarian Holsters for Roth M07 and Steyr M12

THE MODERN REPLICAS

If you are interested, these are the links to some sites that sell repro (somebody else often passes them off, after appropriate aging, for originals)

Militarie-repliky.cz – repairs and production of replicas
    Replicas :: K.u.K replika

FAKE STAMPS found inside the flap: first and second image

Logo of Milan Svoboda [MS], creator of some repro: third and fourth image

-The End-

?

Fantastic run-through of these quality holsters by an afficionado who obviously knows his holsters.
    Thank you.

thank you, I am looking for a holster to buy at the moment and this has been a god send. cheers Tony