Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Austro-Hungarian Trench Flail?

Article about: Hey guys! Hope everybody is doing well. I stumbled upon an internet ad for this item. The seller is not sure what it is, and neither am I, but I think that it may be an Austro-Hungarian tren

Default Austro-Hungarian Trench Flail?

Hey guys!

Hope everybody is doing well. I stumbled upon an internet ad for this item. The seller is not sure what it is, and neither am I, but I think that it may be an Austro-Hungarian trench flail?
    I recall seeing an example of one before; although I am unsure if that was a real item.

Hope someone can help me out here! The asking price is $100

Thanks alot guys.

?

Looks mean!

It does! Now imagine a large hungarian swinging this over your head :S

I don't know how this can conclusively be said to be WWI Austro-Hungarian...any background as to where it's coming from? Could it be older, or just someone's pet project? My dad has one that was made out of scrap by his Army unit as a gift...Personally, I would spend my $100 on something else...
    Something we don't see often, lol...
    cheers, GLenn

Hey Glenn, thanks for the reply.
    I've seen a few other photographs of flails that are the same pattern as this one; I guess they must have been produced in some numbers? Most of them claim to be Austro-hungarian ww1, but I'm not sure how true that is. No background on the item.

Thanks for your help

While I have seen many different sorts of "trench fighting" weapons, I have never seen a flail such as this. Personally, I cannot practically see a soldier swinging this within the confines of a trench. I would have thought that the risk of it getting caught on something or not being able to have momentum put into the swing would have been a massive hindrance in a trench. I would say that this is a repro, possibly an old one by the looks of it, but I would guess that it has nothing to do with trench warfare. Cheers.

?

Hi

In 20 year of collecting Austrohungarian stuff i havent seen this model of flail before. The flails was many different models but without chain.
    Ask the seller if he made alone the flail or with help of someone? hehehe

lp..S

Forum Pro Hereditate 1915-1917 :: View topic - Rombonski buzdovan
    Forum Pro Hereditate 1915-1917 :: View topic - buzdovan

Here are only 2 models ...

could be a copy of a knights of olds morning star.

These spiked ball flails were in every tourist gift shop in Spain in the 1970's next to the sombrero's and plastic donkeys covered in green fur. They used to be popular back then along with repro flintlock pistols and crossed swords on shields, a kind of higher end souvenir. There is no difference between them in my view, and I wouldn't spend a single penny on this, but that's up to you Matt.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I've seen plenty of truly Viscious looking WWI Trench Clubs (or Maces, some would call them), but I've never seen a medieval style Flail. As said, such a weapon would hardly have been practical or even useable in the tight confines of an earthen Trench. It would just as likely injure the user and his mates around him, if he tried to swing it. I agree-an aged tourist item is all, and hardly worth anything more than a simple curiosity.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast