Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Golden Cross of Merit with Crown, on wartime ribbon with swords (Goldenes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone, am Kriegsband mit Schwertern) by Wilhelm Kunz of Vienna.

Article about: Hi Chaps, here's a very elaborate gilded bronze & enameled medal. It's maker marked on the ring ‘WILH. KUNZ WIEN X’ and bronze hallmarked ‘*’. Wilhelm Kunz is one of the rarer makers of

Default Golden Cross of Merit with Crown, on wartime ribbon with swords (Goldenes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone, am Kriegsband mit Schwertern) by Wilhelm Kunz of Vienna.

Hi Chaps, here's a very elaborate gilded bronze & enameled medal. It's maker marked on the ring ‘WILH. KUNZ WIEN X’ and bronze hallmarked ‘*’. Wilhelm Kunz is one of the rarer makers of this award. The motto around the F.J. is ‘VIRIBUS UNITIS’ (strength through unity). The cross was instituted on 16th Feb. 1850. The date 1849 is the year of Emperor Franz Joseph came to the throne. It was issued in four grades - Gold with and without Crown and Silver with and without Crown - to be awarded for true and lasting devotion to the monarch and the fatherland. Also given for for long and useful public service. This one is on a wartime ribbon with crossed swords for military issue,

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Golden Cross of Merit with Crown, on wartime ribbon with swords (Goldenes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone, am Kriegsband mit Schwertern) by Wilhelm Kunz of Vienna.   Golden Cross of Merit with Crown, on wartime ribbon with swords (Goldenes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone, am Kriegsband mit Schwertern) by Wilhelm Kunz of Vienna.  

Golden Cross of Merit with Crown, on wartime ribbon with swords (Goldenes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone, am Kriegsband mit Schwertern) by Wilhelm Kunz of Vienna.  

Fantastic medal. I would like to own one one day.

Excellent enamel work on these crosses. Very nice piece!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks Chaps the higher level Austro Hungarian orders & medals can be lovely quality; but they can differ from maker to maker.

A very nice original example, congratulations. Here is mine for comparison...really I just want to show it as it's not too often anyone talks about these!

certainly nice looking medals.

Hi youthcollector1, nice medals have a look at the other medals in the Austro Hungarian thread. I'm going to post some more next week.