Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Identification of an Austro-hungarian soldier

Article about: Hello, I would like to learn more about my great-uncle who served in the Austro-Hungarian army during the First World War. Unfortunately, my family doesn't remember much about him except his

?

Default Identification of an Austro-hungarian soldier

Hello,

I would like to learn more about my great-uncle who served in the Austro-Hungarian army during the First World War. Unfortunately, my family doesn't remember much about him except his name and that he fell in the summer of 1916. I hope, however, that someone could still recognize some further details based on his uniform: perhaps a type of unit, or what the "bobble-like" thing on his chest means.

Any information will certainly be much appreciated, thank you.

Identification of an Austro-hungarian soldier

?

Hi Pavel

By he foto i think he was in infantry. He also have a shooting string, as a good shooter. No rank insignia , he was an soldier. Those are all Czech infantry regiments Nr.11, 18, 21, 28, 35, 36, 42, 73, 74, 75, 88, 91, 92, 94, 98, 102 maybe he was in one of those. You must search by conscription district of Prague or where he live ...

Sašo

?

Thank you Sašo for your explanation. I have came across a database of "Verlustlisten" so with a bit of luck I might be able find the exact day of my great-uncles death (or at least when it was officially announced).

There is an additional story of my another relative who fought in the war as well.

My great grandfather was captured during the war, but he managed to escape together with one friend soon afterwards. They both hid in a cornfield for a few days to confuse their pursuers and were eventually able to return to their own troops. This seems a rather uncommon behavior for a Czech soldier since many of them welcome the opportunity to avoid further fighting for the not exactly popular monarchy. But my great grandfather explained his escape that he feared his captors would execute him along with the other prisoners of war. He rarely talked about his wartime experience, because as the consequence of the stressful escape he suffered from heart problems, so my mother knows very little about him as a soldier. Therefore we don't known where he fought or when he was captured - my guess would be the Balkan front, but it is really only a guess.

?

Hi Pavel

If your grandfather was on Isonzofront and died there i could look on my books if i find him....

lp..S

Pavel,

Have you looked through the Verlusliste database to see if he was a casualty in any way or imprisoned for a while?

?

A very early photo bomb...notice the guy in the window sneaking into your great-uncles photo. Hope the well learned people here on the site can help you out with inquiry.

Hummel