MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Medal for the Annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina (Bosnisch-Herzegowinische Erinnerungsmedaille), 1908

Article about: Hi Chaps, here's probably the rarest, if a little battered, Austro-Hungarian medal I have in my collection. The medal was created on 30th Aug. 1909 and to be awarded to all those in military

Default Medal for the Annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina (Bosnisch-Herzegowinische Erinnerungsmedaille), 1908

Hi Chaps, here's probably the rarest, if a little battered, Austro-Hungarian medal I have in my collection. The medal was created on 30th Aug. 1909 and to be awarded to all those in military or civilian service in the province on the date of annexation. Records indicate that about 3,000 were produced with 2,800 being awarded. After the Ottoman-Turkish War of 1877-78, the Congress of Berlin determined that Austria-Hungary should occupy and administer Bosnia-Herzegovina. Nationalist sentiment remained strong in neighbouring Serbia as they wished to control the province and gain access to the Adriatic ports. Austria formally annexed the provinces in 1908, partly as a result of fear of Turkish resurgence following the ‘Young Turk’ revolt and also because of her sensitivity to nationalist sentiment throughout her empire, and, with German support, humiliated both Serbia and Russia into accepting a fait accompli. The seeds of future conflicts were sown, being the precursor that lead to the Great War when Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria was assassinated in Sarajevo, capital of Bosnia, on 28th June 1914,

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medal for the Annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina (Bosnisch-Herzegowinische Erinnerungsmedaille), 1908   Medal for the Annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina (Bosnisch-Herzegowinische Erinnerungsmedaille), 1908  

Medal for the Annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina (Bosnisch-Herzegowinische Erinnerungsmedaille), 1908   Medal for the Annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina (Bosnisch-Herzegowinische Erinnerungsmedaille), 1908  

Very interesting medal. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers medalman90, you don't see many of them around, so I had to go for this one.

This is one I've never seen before and a great photo for my virtual collection. Thanks for showing it!

a nice medal.

Thanks harryamb2