Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on an Austrian m16 camo helmet

Article about: The seller is asking \\$500, but I am fairly certain that the liner is a later addition and I wasn't sure about the chinstrap. I think it is a good helmet but I would rather let the experts ha

Default Opinions on an Austrian m16 camo helmet

The seller is asking $500, but I am fairly certain that the liner is a later addition and I wasn't sure about the chinstrap. I think it is a good helmet but I would rather let the experts have the final say in this.

I appreciate the help as always

Alec
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on an Austrian m16 camo helmet   Opinions on an Austrian m16 camo helmet  

Opinions on an Austrian m16 camo helmet   Opinions on an Austrian m16 camo helmet  

Default Re: Opinions on an Austrian m16 camo helmet

Alec.....funny looking helmet, shape does not look right, the whole ensemble looks to be fake, possible Indian copy, the cammo paint is not original, and as you state the liner is a modern replacement, it is trying to be an M16 German helmet not Austrian, it has "Pickelhaube" type chinstrap mounts (M91) Austro-Hungarian helmets had rivited chinstrap bails, although on this helmet the rivets are high up on the skirt, like an Austrian helm ! give this one a pass, save your money. Prost ! Steve.

I think your right Alec, the helmet is alright, but the paint job, liner and chinstrap are all modern repro's I'm pretty sure. The almost complete lack of wear and patina you'd expect to find on an object 90 years old says it all for me. It just doesn't look right, and initial feelings are normally the right ones.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks guys, you saved me again. Helmets like these seem to be attracted to me.

Alec

?

Spot on Steve! The entire thing is a reproduction, even the helmet shell...

Adler

Gentlemen,

The shell looks like the Deepeeka made helmet (they make a size 68) and it's simular to the type of liner they use. The chin strap across the bill trys to hide the extra long, turned up visor that are on these repros, plus on the inside lip, it's not a smooth continued return. It's done a section at a time and it shows. The paint looks more like a wash than the actual paint that was used on the originals. I agree with everyone else, TOTALLY INCORRECT.

Anton

?

Ive got to agree with the other comments, total fake, the flair almost looks like a square dip , i cannot see any type of markings inside the skirt, liner is repro, possibly the chinstrap as well, less said about the paintwork the better, if we were in Rome id be giving it the thumbs down to be dispatched, back to the Indian ocean