Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Rare Hungarian M16

Article about: Hi Theo, it works for me Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Rare Hungarian M16

Hi Theo, it works for me

Cheers, Ade.

Theo....well you live and learn, never seen a ''Hungarian'' WW1 helmet before, how where they able to make this seperate helmet within the ''Empire'' ?...I have researched this helmet both via the net and within all the books I have, nothing even mentioned, not even on sites dedicated to the KuK ! strange ! however thanks for the info.....I shall digest.

?

I have asked myself the same question, how was the Hungarian separated inside the Austro-Hungarian army, but have not really tried to find the answer so far, just asked the question

But the helmet is in the books, too, you can see it in Paolo Marzetti's great book Combat Helmets of the World, page 271, entry 76.4

It is also shown in the "bible" of the German steel helmets, the History of the German Steel Helmet 1916 - 1939 by Ludwig Baer. In this great book it is described as "Hungarian M17". I found it on pages 350, 365 and 366. Besides the pictures, there is a very short text about it, saying that the Hungarian M17 helmet was produced by Krupp Berndorfer Metalwarenfabrik, after they ceased producing the Berndorfer helmet. In Marzeetti's book is mentioned, that Berndorfer helmets were last issued in 1917, this also fits in the time frame for the M17 Hungarian production. /Page numbers are from the 1985 issue of the Baer book that I have./

Quote by Sokol View Post
    Now don't laugh at my painting abilities , but I tried to put together a small scheme, showing the difference between the German M16, Austrian M16 /M17/ and the Hungarian M17. They all share the same shell, but the rivets are placed in a different way.

BTW the Hungarian M17 has no chinstrap rivets at all, the chinstrap was attached to the liner. So was the German M18, chinstrap attached to the liner, thus no chinstrap rivets.
    Theo,
    Thanks much, clears up a bunch of questions that were rambling around in my mind. You have been most helpful. Thats the beauty of this forum, very knowledgeable members willing to share their expertise.
    Terry

Caseydiggz
    ?

Thank you for a very detailed explanation, much appreciated!

Hungarian helmets were also converted into dd transitionals and sd mid WWII reissues. I will try to post some pictures later this week of a WWI original and a sd heer reissue. There are good pictures and the historical account of these helmets in BAER. My WWI example does not have the liner, but does have the liner band, and chinstrap. I will try to get decent pictures of the inner workings, as they are slightly different than their German and Austrian counterparts.

?

Thank you, it will be very interesting to see the inside! Unfortunately mine is a shell only and the helmet books do not have good pictures. So far I believe the chinstrap was attached to the rivets inside and so was the liner? Is that correct? Awaiting your pictures with interest!

Quote by Sokol View Post
    Thank you, it will be very interesting to see the inside! Unfortunately mine is a shell only and the helmet books do not have good pictures. So far I believe the chinstrap was attached to the rivets inside and so was the liner? Is that correct? Awaiting your pictures with interest!
    As requested. The pictures aren't great, taken tonight indoors, but they should show what you want to see. The stamp on the WWI pot is the Berndorfer Bear over "64". Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare Hungarian M16   Rare Hungarian M16  

Rare Hungarian M16   Rare Hungarian M16  

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    As requested. The pictures aren't great, taken tonight indoors, but they should show what you want to see. The stamp on the WWI pot is the Berndorfer Bear over "64". Jim G.
    Wow! Love the message from the vet that brought this helmet back! Do you know anymore about who he was?

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Wow! Love the message from the vet that brought this helmet back! Do you know anymore about who he was?
    Regretably, no. It was an ebay purchase, believe it or not. The seller stated that he had purchased it several years earlier from Bill Shea. I called Bill, but he did not have any additional information. It is really a gem, one of my favorite pieces. Jim G.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast