Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Austrian Relic Helmet from Monte Grappa, Italy

Article about: The Legends and Traditions of the Great War: Monte Grappa Above is a link to the story of this all but forgotten battle of WWI. It has come to be known as Italy's Thermopylae. The helmet was

Arrow WWI Austrian Relic Helmet from Monte Grappa, Italy

The Legends and Traditions of the Great War: Monte Grappa

Above is a link to the story of this all but forgotten battle of WWI. It has come to be known as Italy's Thermopylae. The helmet was found in the ice on that mountain about 15 years ago. The condition is quite good and there are areas where paint still clings to the metal.

As you can see, the impact was catastrophic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Austrian Relic Helmet from Monte Grappa, Italy   WWI Austrian Relic Helmet from Monte Grappa, Italy  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: WWI Austrian Relic Helmet from Monte Grappa, Italy

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Austrian Relic Helmet from Monte Grappa, Italy   WWI Austrian Relic Helmet from Monte Grappa, Italy  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Any ideas on what actually caused that much damage, looks like the wearer took a mortar round to the head or something

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Any ideas on what actually caused that much damage, looks like the wearer took a mortar round to the head or something

Thanks

Danny
    Hi Danny,

it is hard to say for sure, but I suspect an aerial burst if the individual was standing upright at the time. However, if lying in the prone, could be the result of an artillery round.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is a shot of the memorial atop the mountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI Austrian Relic Helmet from Monte Grappa, Italy 

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steven M, super relic, even though im not a relic collector, even i would like that piece on my desk!....a relic of an often ignored front of the Great War, and just as important (in my view) as either the western or eastern front, ive just finished reading Mark Thompson's book ' The White War. Life and death on the Italian front 1915-19 '.and strongly recommend to anybody wishing to explore this forgotten front. Up in the mountain regions of the old Austro-Hungarian/Italian frontier there are still plenty of relics scattered around in full view.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Steven M, super relic, even though im not a relic collector, even i would like that piece on my desk!....a relic of an often ignored front of the Great War, and just as important (in my view) as either the western or eastern front, ive just finished reading Mark Thompson's book ' The White War. Life and death on the Italian front 1915-19 '.and strongly recommend to anybody wishing to explore this forgotten front. Up in the mountain regions of the old Austro-Hungarian/Italian frontier there are still plenty of relics scattered around in full view.
    I myself am not really a helmet collector but I do love relics from the battlefield. When I saw this one, I knew that it had to be mine. Something like this clearly demonstrates the cost of war on a personal level...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

stunning