Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anton Wingen 1st Crossguard - Army Dagger

Article about: My Wingen 1st has arrived. There was a spot on the scabbard in the seller photos that looked like it might be a dent, and turned out to in fact be a dent. The blade sadly is a little worse t

Default Anton Wingen 1st Crossguard - Army Dagger

My Wingen 1st has arrived. There was a spot on the scabbard in the seller photos that looked like it might be a dent, and turned out to in fact be a dent. The blade sadly is a little worse than expected, as it has been polished as a number of you suspected, and also has some long scratches/gouges both front and back on it that are in the seller photos if you know where to look, and I now know where to look. All of this is noted in photos below.

The grip isn't as shiny as many I've seen, I suspect it hasn't been cleaned. Is that something that should be left alone, or is there something that can be used to shine it up a bit? I like the grips shiny, but wouldn't hurt the value of it to make it so.

Thankfully, the eagle is as defined as expected. I'll let the photos speak for themselves. Should all click to enlarge.

For the record: Dagger and hanger bought together for $560.

Added: Took a daylight, close-up of the cross-guard -

Previous Pictures:

Side 1:

Side 2:

Last edited by avenger; 07-10-2014 at 06:34 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anton Wingen 1st Crossguard - Army Dagger
    P
    Many

Hi Scott..no matter how you look at it..you still have a rare variant..according to our esteemed Heer Teachers.

Interesting to see..is that a nicotine patina buildup..or are all those fittings just happen to be brass beneath the silvering? I see a spot on the crossguard crescent where it curls..also the upper carrying band..and the pommel? Still a Great dagger. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I really like it's look ....good business for 560 !!
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I wouldn't know about the patina, except someone mentioned these tend to have that chocolate patina, and I believe they mentioned it was somewhat unique to the wingens? It doesn't smell of smoke if that's much of an indicator...

In any case it's a mixed bag. Some good, some bad. But, I got it for the rarity and crispness of the eagle, which if I could be so bold as to brag just once, seems to be one of (if not the most) defined out there.

Hi Scott, another beautiful dagger, we are spoilt today for choice. I must agree with Larry it's very yellow.

Regards SK

?

Thx Scott for posting this lovely early dagger!
    Its not in all pristine condition, but its an early one thats seen it all, still has its nice crisp Eagle and its hand enhanced pommel.
    a Small scabbard dent aint that bad, the blade is polished but overal a lovely early one with a hard to find 1st pattern Wingen eagle!

Congratz on this one,
    Ger

Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with it. I'd love for it to be in better condition of course, but honestly, the condition is how I was able to afford it. Had it been pristine, one of you would probably be showing it to me instead!

Besides, I can always find a pristine dagger for showing people down the road. The average person I show this to would not appreciate the rarity, and probably be more impressed with a clean one in great shape. Nevertheless, I get the impression it's not every day you get a chance to buy a Wingen 1st.

Avenger, Thanks for posting more pics of this beauty! It is dripping with character and the early brass based fittings are rare and just great. Dont get tempted to clean it (JMO) I bought an SA with this nichotine patina early in my collecting days and polished it up..ALLWAYS regretted it after I learned just how great an untouched piece like this is! Well done..a piece I would love to have and I have been collecting for 30+ years..Kevin.

Thanks Kevin! I can assure you as long as the dagger is in my care, it will remain dirty, golden, and caked in years of veteran smoke.

Amen - Kevin summed it up nicely - Beautiful patina & Great dagger this would be in my collection in a second. Certainly one of the best examples of this rare crossguard known if not thee best. IMO this Wingen Type-1 ranks right at the top for rarity and one of the most difficult guards to find. Scott have you noticed how vaulted the breast is off the crossguard ?

Quote by heers68 View Post
    Avenger, Thanks for posting more pics of this beauty! It is dripping with character and the early brass based fittings are rare and just great. Dont get tempted to clean it (JMO) I bought an SA with this nichotine patina early in my collecting days and polished it up..ALLWAYS regretted it after I learned just how great an untouched piece like this is! Well done..a piece I would love to have and I have been collecting for 30+ years..Kevin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast