Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Army Dagger - Holler

Article about: Initial thoughts in this one? Silver sure looks a bit shiny compared to the muck in the grooves on the handle. Weird to anyone else?

?

#Degens:
    I have had quite a few heer daggers fitted with zinqbase/potmetal fittings where the black patina sort of "grows" through the silvering.
    I once had one that was shiny as hell when i bought it and it turned completely black within a year, i think it also depends on thickness and type of silvering on the basemetal.

But i agree completely with your statement that in this case no real harm was done.

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Army Dagger - Holler
    P
    Many

?

Here is one that should appeal to Vedran .

An early Luneschloss with the perpendicular stamped trademark ( only seen one other ), WKC 1st fittings and as black as they come. I am pretty sure that this one has never been cleaned since the day it left the factory, the patina is thick enough to feel with a fingernail and I had to look twice when it arrived to make sure it was not paint.
    No Photoshop trickery, just glorious crud

Army Dagger - Holler
    Army Dagger - Holler
    Army Dagger - Holler
    Army Dagger - Holler

Degens...a real beauty there! I saw one with this mark at the Max this year! The early WKC fittings seem to take on this almost "painted on" super black look, I have to think it was due to a process that WKC used, or perhaps the protective lacquer they used? Great dagger anyways..Kevin.

I always found it interesting on the differences on some other daggers from various branches of service...some have shiney silvered fittings....and then you have Luftwaffee airplane grey and Heer daggers nearly painted factory black.

Could there possibly be a reason why..the Luft and Heer daggers did not come out of the factory like the other daggers..being quite bold and robust..in shine? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

If you read the original Solingen Katologs the finish on the Heer dagger was described as "Alte Silber" or old silver, meaning tarnished! Kevin.

Thats interesting..but still curious on why they decided to tone down the silver..as to the other dagger types. The Germans were all about Glitz and glamour..when it came to these prestigious works of art.
    The uniforms of the Heer officers were crisp and sharp and IMO a dulled dagger of the time...would not just seem to look right...but thats just me. Im forever enslaved by the brown black and silver

The Kriegsmarine daggers were gilded..and yet their appearance was eye catching.

Curious of the reasons why. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Briefly, When zinc ages in the atmosphere it turns gray. Corrosion and corrosion byproducts are white. Gold is gold - which is very stable in the atmosphere, but silver turns black reacting to sulfur, forming a sulphide, with some silver alloys having additional alloys added to help combat the tarnishing. And the matte finish a modification of the plating process. The "airplane gray" (a collectors term, which does not and never existed in German technical literature) is a matte (gray) zinc phosphate over zinc castings and/or zinc plating with the scabbards. With period aluminum being clear "anodized" (the correct use of the term) which gives it a matte finish (which can then have the highlights polished). And depending on the maker for aluminum, either some color added or plating through some additional steps. With the anodizing stabilizing aluminum in the atmosphere. Best Regards, Fred

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4