Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

F.w holler dagger up for opinion

Article about: This dagger is listed as a F.W Holler with scabbard and hangers. I wanted to get a second opinion on its authenticity,i just noticed that its hard to make out the I in Soligen. I recently wo

Default F.w holler dagger up for opinion

This dagger is listed as a F.W Holler with scabbard and hangers.
    I wanted to get a second opinion on its authenticity,i just noticed that its hard to make out the I in Soligen. F.w holler dagger up for opinionF.w holler dagger up for opinionF.w holler dagger up for opinionF.w holler dagger up for opinionF.w holler dagger up for opinionI recently won the auction on this piece.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement F.w holler dagger up for opinion
    P
    Many

?

Hi Chris,

to determen this piece you have to know something about the key features Höller used:
    Jon Degens has a lovely reference site, for example look at the crossguard... is that a Höller type?
    Is the blade brushed or has it been finished with crossgrain?
    Does the grip fit nicely to its ferrule? or is there a huge cap?
    here the link to Jon's site:
    wardaggers.com - German WWII Dagger and Collectable Edged Weapon Site
    for crossguards references:
    wardaggers.com - German Army Dagger Crossguard Makers Reference
    as you can see it also give you insight in dagger terminology

If you do a bit of research and compare it with this one, you should be able to determen if this a fake or an Original.
    Invest in knowledge and save money......

Regards,
    Ger

Thanks Gerrit,I have just checked his site, what a great source of material for sure ,my opinion is that it is authentic, I just wasn't really to sure about the "I" that's really hard to make out in Soligen

?

Hi Chris, although the picture of the crossguard is not very sharp, I have no doubt that it's a Höller crossguard. The scabbard with the single screw on the back is also correct for Höller. Here's one to compare your crossguard and scabbard with. As you can see even the grip is identical (type B grip)

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture F.w holler dagger up for opinion   F.w holler dagger up for opinion  

Looks like a correct earlier Holler 3rd.. Kevin.

I finally received my first dagger today, Its not "Mint", but a good candidate for me to start out with, I cant wait to start hunting for my next dagger. I appreciate everbody's expertise!.....Does anybody know what causes the bluing or burnishing look? Also what type of scabbard do I have? The Oak leaves seem to have been hammered pretty hard. F.w holler dagger up for opinionF.w holler dagger up for opinionF.w holler dagger up for opinionF.w holler dagger up for opinionF.w holler dagger up for opinion