Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German army dagger handle

Article about: I purchased this German army dagger today and noticed that you can see a line running down the handle from when it was molded. I have not seen this on a dagger handle befor, is it normal to

The wood core is definitely not unheard of, but I can't explain the seam. I would guess this is a put together judging by the grinding on the tang.
    Thank you also for all of the detailed photos.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German army dagger handle
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hello W2MCollector.. i have been watching your thread..and have to thank you for all the possible photos you have taken, which will help greatly with our Heer collectors to give you the best answers to your questions.

The grip should not have an extreme seam line which is highly uncommon even for the late production daggers. The fittings are authentic..and will leave the blade and the chiseled down tang to the more experienced. Im not too comfortable with the rainbow due to the heat used while forging the tang.

check out this link below..that is pinned at the top of this forum.

wardaggers.com - German Dagger Reproduction Awareness

click and drag your mouse of the far right example in the link..the photo will rotate for you..and you will also see the exposed grip seam deemed a reproduction

Check out the over all below..and study the rest of the details on the other fittings

Heer Dagger Reference Tools in Identifying and collecting.

Wait for Gerrit ,,dr73..Tom Kendal or Heers 68 to chime in while you study the links I provided.

Regards Larry
    The first link was very interesting... Although not a "Dagger" guy personally, It certainly had some good info.... Thanks Larry
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thank you everyone for your responses. The story I was told when I purchased this dagger was that it originally was purchased by someone while they were in Germany shortly after the war had ended, This would explain why there seem to be real parts mixed with fake parts. I plan to try and return this dagger. Thank you again to everyone who helped answer my questions about this dagger.

Due to the destruction and lack of jobs in Germany directly after WWII, many left over parts were used to make new daggers to sell to the new wave of GI coming into Germany, so this is not unheard of.

MAP
    ?

If this is true, a piece of history none the less (and obviously worth much less). But still an interesting piece if true...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks to be a correct late WKC.. all fittings and scabbard correct for this version.. wood core grip is especially unfinished with the seam left in this way but not unheard of late like this. Not the prettiest but correct non the less. Best, Kevin.

Quote by heers68 View Post
    Looks to be a correct late WKC.. all fittings and scabbard correct for this version.. wood core grip is especially unfinished with the seam left in this way but not unheard of late like this. Not the prettiest but correct non the less. Best, Kevin.
    Most of the problems seem to be with elements of the final assembly/finishing. Circa 1942 there was a corresponding but not quite as drastic decline in the quality of service bayonets made by WKC for the Wehrmacht - that only got worse as time went forward. Best Regards, Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2