Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heer Dagger Challenge

Article about: I just witnessed on pgs 24 and 25 of Tom Johnsons , large pictorial reference of Heer daggers that , The Producer Robert Klaas has produced an unspecified amount of daggers with "Wire w

Default Heer Dagger Challenge

I just witnessed on pgs 24 and 25 of Tom Johnsons , large pictorial reference of Heer daggers that , The Producer Robert Klaas has produced an unspecified amount of daggers with "Wire wrapped Trolon grips" !

After viewing a great an exhaustive Heer Forum...and trust me I have seen some exquisite examples of fine crafted edged weapons,,by many members here,,,,yet I have not seen one of these Wire wrapped Heer grips.
    Forgive the black and white photos..but this is all I have to show for an example....the Challenge is..does any of our Members here or our Esteemed Seasoned Heer collectors..have one of these rarities from their collection to post in full color? Tom..Jon..Kevin..Danny..and the front step widower Gerrit. Any thoughts..or any other input from other members who may have seen this ellusive variant? Below are 2 photos from Tom Johnsons Reference. Regards Larry

Heer Dagger Challenge Heer Dagger Challenge
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Dagger Challenge
    P
    Many

never seen one.and I saw a vast amount when I did the auction.

I've never seen one myself, and speaking generally, it's not unknown for somebody to try and get an author to insert something that they have into a book thereby "authenticating by publication" (which is still happening). And here and there some items that are now considered to be fakes or altered items by many modern day individuals in collecting - seem to have an indestructible life for new collectors who hang on every word and photo that the author printed. Which is why as a beginner I spent a considerable amount of effort searching for a "Waffenamted" Hitler Youth knife for myself that I saw described and pictured in an early TMJ book. But I'm sorry to have to say that I never did find that ultra-elusive Waffenamted Hitler Youth knife. Although much later I did find a source for the commission number of the Heereswaffenamt inspection team that was tied to the knife ......................... based in Czechoslovakia. Best Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 08-30-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: clarification

?

Larry,
    I have handled a couple of wire wrapped Klaas armies and an Eickhorn. The truth of the matter is that this type of enhancement is very hard to verify as authentic and one of the easiest to doctor in terms of adding value to an otherwise standard army dagger. It was widely accepted years ago, that Klass was the only legit manufacturer that used this technique and that the hole placement on either end of the grip, for the ends of the wire, where key in determining authenticity.
    Personally I am a non-believer. I do not think that regulations during the period, would have allowed for such an enhancement on such a limited scale. Simply another way post war for a seller or dealer to add a few hundred bucks to the prices of a dagger.
    Just my opinion of course and I am sure other advanced army guys have their own thoughts.

Forgot to mention that I did own a wire wrapped Holler years ago that I sold. Still trying to find pictures!.

I remember one collector had a letter from the Klaas firm stating they did make such a dagger perhaps someone has a image of it ? Still no interest for me in such a piece unless I personally vet purchase it at a reasonable price.

I have to agree with you guys here on large..even though as Tom says, there was "supposed" to be a positive response from Klaas on thier production of these.. And the "honor dagger of the Army" by Alcoso has this treatment.. Why would this have come out? Was this a proposed "new" version that did'nt go over?? (if they were EVER period procuced that is) I to would have to see one come from DEEP in the woodwork to have faith in it.. Open to being educated though! Don't really believe in Bigfoot either, but I would be pretty jazzed to be proven wrong! LOL! Kevin.

?

I agree with what has been said. I have never seen a heer dagger with gripwire (except the one in Tom Johnsons book). I find it hard to believe that this type of grip would have been accepted. If this was the case, we would have found plenty original examples already and this variant would also be in the sales catalogues of the various producers. Since it is relatively easy to put on a gripwire post war and by doing so, creating a "unique" piece I wouldn't buy it unless it was really cheap

Danny

?

Thx Larry for starting this interesting post.

Gents i share your thoughts about this dagger.
    I have heard enough rumours like: there supposed to be a document, an Original period photo or so, but strangly almost none of those docs ever appears on the net! how come?
    Looking at this Klaas dagger this first thing that pops up in mind is: darn how ugle is that grip, its a kind of fat bastard!
    The slim appearence of the dagger is complety lost.
    The grip looks short @ fat making the pommel and even de crossguard looking out of place made in the wrong demensions.

This would not be a dagger that i would buy, not my cup of tea!

Ger

Is it the wire that makes it appear fat?...or can the grip be compared to this example of this Holler Dagger here> Heer dagger picked
    Last edited by Larry C; 09-07-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I think its optical, its like having a T-Shirt with horizontal thick lines, you appear to be wider.
    Fat woman Always use vertical lines patterns on their shirts..... or just black.....

Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast