Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Heer Dagger by WMW Posted as Requested.

Article about: Hi Guys, Here's some pic's of my WMW Heer dagger as promised to Larry and Peter a couple of days back. Never posted it before as I thought it a bit rough, although the blade is nice. Sorry a

There is a thread here on this forum....pertaining to a grip that was rubbed down over zealously that the color was transferring itself onto the cleaning cloth. One of the guys here..might be able to elaborate more on it or post a link to that discussion. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Dagger by WMW Posted as Requested.
    P
    Many

Hi Larry,

I think I read somewhere that Klaas used painted grips at some point, I wonder if this one could be from the same supplier perhaps? I'll try and get a photo of the disassembled grip tomorrow if that helps?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I like it Ned!....

?

Must be my tired eyes, the grip looks fine to me. Typical WMW late war assembly, Is the grip wood or plaster filled or solid?. The Klaas painted grips are normally white ( which taints cream/tan ) over black trolon.
    Sometimes the artificial ivory grips show very faint graining that may be mistaken for a poor cleaning attempt?. It may have been painted but I am having trouble understanding why if that grip is plaster or wood cored, the exterior celluloid is not prone to colour change like trolon and is the same colour as it left the factory.
    Nice piece Ned.

Nice crisp example . I like it , If you don't want it send it to me !

Quote by Degens View Post
    Must be my tired eyes, the grip looks fine to me. Typical WMW late war assembly, Is the grip wood or plaster filled or solid?. The Klaas painted grips are normally white ( which taints cream/tan ) over black trolon.
    Sometimes the artificial ivory grips show very faint graining that may be mistaken for a poor cleaning attempt?. It may have been painted but I am having trouble understanding why if that grip is plaster or wood cored, the exterior celluloid is not prone to colour change like trolon and is the same colour as it left the factory.
    Nice piece Ned.
    Here's the grip disassembled from the dagger. It's solid, but i'm not sure it's Trolon, maybe solid celluloid?? You can see the yellow paint both inside and out, as well as a sort of brown paint that appears to be underneath that, like a primer coat or something?

Regards, Ned.

Heer Dagger by WMW Posted as Requested.Heer Dagger by WMW Posted as Requested.Heer Dagger by WMW Posted as Requested.Heer Dagger by WMW Posted as Requested.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I see what you mean Ned. Very strange. Without it in hand its a tough one to call but I suspect it may be a celluloid shell minus the original plaster filling. The upper pommel end, interior hole is oversized when compared to a normal tang cut-out. The paint may be a coating given to the interior prior to plaster filling to help it adhere?. Guesswork on my part. Interest to see what FP and others make of it. Thanks for showing.

Hi Degens,

I don't think it's a celluloid shell that was plaster filled, it's pretty thick and solid with the inner diameter the same all the way through until it reaches the hilt end when it changes to a slot. I have a Luftwaffe 2nd type that's plaster filled and the celluloid is far thinner than this one. I'll get some more pic's of the interior if I can manage to tomorrow. Is there anything in particular you'd like to look at?

Regards, Ned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2