Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help to identify?

Article about: Hi there I inherited this bayonet some time ago it’s a bit worn and rusty so I wonder if anyone can identify ? Thanks Richard

MAP
    ?

To show you these in all their glory.....take a walk through the pages in the link below. Then you will see what yours once was.

Still with a little work you can clean it up a bit and give it a nice "relic" look. Just follow Smitty's advice

My collection of heer daggers
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help to identify?
    P
    Many

Hi there

Many thanks for all the advice , does this mean that it is a WW2 dagger ?I will get more pics up today

Best regards and enjoy the weekend

Richard

MAP
    ?

Quote by Richardpa View Post
    Hi there

Many thanks for all the advice , does this mean that it is a WW2 dagger ?I will get more pics up today

Best regards and enjoy the weekend

Richard
    Yes. A WW2 Heer (Army) dagger
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Richard,

We look forward to more pictures and hopefully if you decide to try to clean this we can give you some guidance and direction or if you chose to leave it as is, give you some preservation suggestions..

One thought I had as I was re-reading my post to you.. If you attempt to take the dagger apart for a cleaning, PLEASE... Be very cautious about removing the Bakelite handle (the dark brown of the dagger).. The top screw will most likely be very tight with corrosion.. DO NOT USE A PAIR OF PLIERS DIRECTLY ON THE NUT... Wrap the pliers in a cloth several times so that the teeth of the pliers will not scar the nut.. If it is a soft metal alloy it will most likely leave teeth marks and that will not look good...

Once the nut is removed you can carefully remove the handle and then the handguard (Which is the denazified eagle). Once this is complete you can start to soak the blade..

Again this is if you chose to conserve the blade....

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.. Hopefully you can see through some of the rust and dirt to see if there is a possible makers mark (Which will be located in most cases under the eagle or on the reverse side of the blade in the same upper location)…

Smitty

Default More pics

Help to identify?Help to identify?Help to identify?Help to identify?Help to identify?Help to identify?[ATTACHHelp to identify?Help to identify?Help to identify?Help to identify?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to identify?  

Richard,

Thank you for the better pictures.. Again this is in pretty rough shape but there are some things that can be conserved/preserved... The cloth hangars are just about gone but the buckles and attachment rings for the scabbard can be cleaned up,, replacement hangars can also be found for relatively cheap, but if it were my dagger,, I wouldn't want to replace any of the parts, I would attempt to clean as best I could without using any caustic chemicals and just try to keep the parts from further wear and tear.

If this has been stored in a humid and wet environment it is understandable the type of corrosion and rust that has appeared..

Not sure where you are from but I would like to hear more of the background of how this was given to you.. You mentioned you inherited it,, was it a relative that gave it to you?

Did you happen to see if there were any markings on the eagle side of the blade? You took some good pictures of the back of the blade/eagle.. Could you take some of the front?? There may also be markings on the buckles and the spring loaded clips that attach to the scabbard that are on the cloth hangar... You may have to use a magnifying glass to see under some of the dirt and rust..

Smitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2