Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?

Article about: Came across this dagger. The asking price is around \\$300. It's pretty banged up, but I think it actually has a nice worn look to it. What do you guys think. Worth the money?

Default Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?

Came across this dagger. The asking price is around $300. It's pretty banged up, but I think it actually has a nice worn look to it. What do you guys think. Worth the money?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?   Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?  

Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?   Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?  

Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?

Some conditional issues mostly with the blade. From the photos it looks fine and doesn't appear to be a parts piece. $300 is a decent price, and probably worth the $$. You would really have to ascertain if there is hidden damage like rusty threads on the tang, etc. Outside appearances can be deceiving. I can't tell from the photos, but you might be able to mitigate some the blades oxidation issues. I just cannot tell how deep the rust/damange has permeated the blade.

You'd need to really study the blades condition. How bad is the rust, pitting, etc. If the blade is shot and beyond salvation, then it wouldn't obviously be worth it. You can still pick up decent Armys in the $400 which rate very good.

Overall, i'd say go for it if you like it. It's a common piece from a common manufacturer, but still decent looking none-the-less, of course with the exception of the blade.

Think about it, study the blades condition, and then make a decision.

Tom

I would agree with Tom's comments. Pity about the blade.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks guys. Having trouble getting a hold of the seller, but we'll see what happens if I can't knock a little off what he's asking.

2nd picture down on the left shows some deep pitting from rust. I would leave this one alone.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Try to get a few more pics from the seller. Specifically of the spots on the blade. Some rust spots, pittings, and oxidation is worse than others. Sometimes it can also be removed without damaging the blade: it just all depends.

I bought an ASSO Heer which had some very small pin point pitting, very pinpoint. I was able to arrest the external oxidation and she cleaned up well. The price was right, and when I was done with the recus and preservation process, she turned out the be a nice Heer dagger. $300 is not bad..it's all going to be contingent on the degree of oxidation the blade has..and any other little hidden problems. You won't know the condition of the tang unless the pommel is gently removed as well as the grip. I don't advocate disassembly, though when considering an example which shows some external conditional issues, it's generally indicative that the collectible will also contain some conditional issue which are hidden under the grip assembly.

Again, get some good pics of the pit spots, and do your best to ascertain the "real" condition of the piece. You might be able to use the condition as a bargaining tool should the piece contain enough to warrant a decrease in sales price. Perhaps you could knock off $25 to $50, who knows. Either way though, you need to get better, closer and more detailed pics.

Good luck with the prospective buy,
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war Holler heer dagger--good deal?  

The reverse side of the blade was quite clean. The dealer sold to someone else, however, so I suppose it is moot now. Thanks for the help.