Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Lionhead Saber - Requesting ID and Opinions

Article about: Hello. Here is a Lionhead sword with a somewhat rough exterior. Blade looks to be in near mint condition. Someone locally is offering this for sale and I wanted to see what you all thought a

Sand casting is simply a process that uses molds made from compacted sand and filling them with molten metal. It produces a rougher matte finish to the finished piece. When the gold plating is applied, it covers much of this "matte" finish and makes the overall piece smooth to the touch. Your Alcoso was never gold plated. (most were, but, of course, some weren't)

Alot of sheaths can be seen with dents of varying size. Most of them came from officers bumping them into doorways, cars, walls and even getting them caught on chairs while sitting down. Depending on the size of the dent, it can affect the value, of course.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lionhead Saber - Requesting ID and Opinions
    P
    Many

That's interesting. So you're saying it never was gold plated. I was wondering how it all had been worn off. So that's another indication of it being very early? Would you put this mid-30s if you were to estimate? I have another lionhead sword that is much more attractive but this one is pretty cool in its on way.

Not necessarily...it's simply not plated, is all. German swords came in endless pricing grades. Engraved, not engraved, Damascus blades, steel blades, jewels in the eyes, etc. sometimes even actual diamonds. It depended on how much the buyer wanted to spend on it.
    William

A few more pics of the sword...
    Lionhead Saber - Requesting ID and OpinionsLionhead Saber - Requesting ID and OpinionsLionhead Saber - Requesting ID and OpinionsLionhead Saber - Requesting ID and OpinionsLionhead Saber - Requesting ID and OpinionsLionhead Saber - Requesting ID and Opinions

Hmm..! It looks like it may have once had a very light gilt applied, but either the base metal is absorbing it, or else it was severely over polished. From the rust on the edge of the blade, it looks to have been kept in a damp area for some time-maybe a basement or storage locker?
    William

The environment where it was stored played a big part in
    the way it looks now, as William says. I've seen brass
    turn this reddish hue after it has been handled, not
    wiped down, and then left for long periods.

Even if it had been hanging on a wall for an extended
    time, through seasons of changing humidity and
    dryness, the brass will tarnish..........
    Regards,

Steve.

And now its for sale in the classified........A long term ownership of exactly 1 day!

Yes it is for sale but I would prefer trading it. I have about half a dozen TR swords and I'm really trying to find an army or SA dagger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2