Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help! Heer Officers Dagger

Article about: So I paid a visit to our local antique store today, and found this (what I think) is an original Heer officers dagger. Don't know much about these daggers, but I would love to add this one t

Default Need Help! Heer Officers Dagger

So I paid a visit to our local antique store today, and found this (what I think) is an original Heer officers dagger.

Don't know much about these daggers, but I would love to add this one to my collection. Let me know what you guys think, as the price is very fair.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help! Heer Officers Dagger   Need Help! Heer Officers Dagger  

Need Help! Heer Officers Dagger   Need Help! Heer Officers Dagger  

Need Help! Heer Officers Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help! Heer Officers Dagger
    P
    Many

An Alosco 4th pattern crossguard. Those are scarce and quite unique. It's a late period crossguard, which would go with the gallalith or celluloid grip (I can't tell which from the photos). I'm not very good yet with the scabbards, so I'll leave that to someone else to comment on. It doesn't seem to match the fittings, but that's not always concerning. And, we don't have photos of the whole thing, or anything showing if the blade has any grain evident, which does affect value. If everything is good on it, $350 for a scarce pattern Alosco is a deal I'd certainly take.

BTW, if they're calling that silver thing wrapped around the grip a hanger, they're incorrect. That's a portapee and is decoration. It looks like it's probably a good one (better pictures would help) and would run $75 to $100 on its own at a dealer.

Interesting history tidbit: Alosco was founded by a Jewish man Alexander Coppel who was interned at Terezin concentration camp, quite likely at the same time that this dagger was made.

Amazing information!

So you believe it to be the real McCoy then huh?

Aaron, I really would like to see more of the blade. The blade will make or break a deal for me.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by IllinoisCornFarmer90 View Post
    Amazing information!

So you believe it to be the real McCoy then huh?
    I think it looks promising. Better photos of the blade and scabbard would help a lot as we're having to go a little blind by what you took today. If the blade has been heavily polished or has lots of pitting and discoloration, that really hurts value. But, so far I personally like it. But, I'm not an expert on these like some of the guys here though, so they may see something I missed. It's safe to say they'll probably request better photos.

I will take some better pictures tomorrow. Be patient with me guys as I am still new to the collecting world.

I will try and kick the guy in the nuts just a little and offer him $290 if the blade is decent.

Hello!ALCOSO is a great maker and some collectors only look for its daggers. But, as Tank Destroyer has said, it is necessary, I would say it is fundamental to see the blade. From the photos I can see now, the piece likes to me,but other pictures would be useful to give you a better opinion...

Quote by IllinoisCornFarmer90 View Post
    I will take some better pictures tomorrow. Be patient with me guys as I am still new to the collecting world.

I will try and kick the guy in the nuts just a little and offer him $290 if the blade is decent.
    If your shop gets a lot of traffic, you could always see if they have any return period, or will let you put a refundable deposit on it so that nobody else snags it while you look into the rest of the piece like scabbard and blade. The crossguard isn't common, and that looks like a really nice example of it to my eyes.

I will find out about a deposit, as that is a good idea (need to come up with the cash)

Is this maker more desirable Weyersburg or SMF?

Yes-much better photos are certainly needed-particularly of the blade,the pommel and the sheath tip and bands. Is there, for example, a felt buffer still with it? From what I can discern, the blade does not look to have any crossgraining to it, which would mean that it's been harshly polished over time. The metal fittings have a decent amount of patina to them indicating that there may still be silver coating present despite it being a later issued piece(1938-42) with lower quality metals. There were 4 crossguards from Alcoso and this type is the 2nd most common.
    The white grip has several marks to it but no serious cracks that I can see, but it's not possible without seeing the entire length and close up to tell what kind it is from the photos, of course. In fact, it's quite difficult to give any sort of more in depth evaluation or authentication without better photos. Alcoso was a good maker, and turned out decent daggers but it is not prized over the others and there are, in fact, a Large number of manufacturers of the Heer dagger and many of them are far more prized than Alcoso. Before I would purchase this one, I would definitely need to get a closer and more complete look at it. There are Many put togethers of spare parts on the market. I'm not saying that this is One of them, but it Could be.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast