Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

New early Heer dagger variation from Puma

Article about: Gentlemen, I have been researching this Puma variation for a few years now, waiting for enough examples to surface. I have recently found my third example in this study that adhere to the sa

Default New early Heer dagger variation from Puma

Gentlemen, I have been researching this Puma variation for a few years now, waiting for enough examples to surface. I have recently found my third example in this study that adhere to the same exact fittings and scabbard. I own two of the three examples that I will show here, all having light metal fittings, tapered tangs and slant grips.
    I propose that this was Puma's first attempt to produce a lighter dagger that would not be as cumbersome as the heavy brass based Puma 1st. Perhaps before the aluminum examples were produced? I base this on the presence of a slant grip on all examples found so far, as only a lesser seen amount of aluminums are found with slant grips. One of my examples shows significant plating lifting, showing that the plating process was not perfected and Puma was still struggling with plating the new zinc alloy fittings.
    The guards used are the Pack light weight (zinc alloy or pot metal) type seen on the Holler 2nd.. as you will see in the pictures they are hand enhanced on the head, chest and wreath. The pommel is also very similar and has a good bit of hand enhancement. The blades are initial quality, tapered tang and bare the early small diamond MM used on the type 1. The scabbard is a magnetic base example with bands that are hand worked with the casting seams covered with impressed acorns (just like the Puma 1st!, see the pic) and double flathead screws very much like the type 1 but the heads of the screws are ever so slightly smaller diameter.
    I would like to name this variation the "Puma 2nd", Please give feedback and opinions, If you have an example please show it! I am including a pic of a third example from the Raleigh NC show that I examined and it was identicle to my two, so there is another out there that may be in your collecting hands

Best, Kevin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New early Heer dagger variation from Puma   New early Heer dagger variation from Puma  

New early Heer dagger variation from Puma   New early Heer dagger variation from Puma  

New early Heer dagger variation from Puma   New early Heer dagger variation from Puma  

New early Heer dagger variation from Puma  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New early Heer dagger variation from Puma
    P
    Many

New early Heer dagger variation from PumaExample from the show...

Here are comparisons to the type 1 Puma... scabbard close up shows type 1 scabbard on right, new type 2 on left..

New early Heer dagger variation from PumaNew early Heer dagger variation from PumaNew early Heer dagger variation from PumaNew early Heer dagger variation from Puma

Hi Kevin..Im gald you found a couple more supporting examples of the same configuration. That proves that there was a certain amount of a production run of these...but how many who knows...but fact is that this type is true to the period.

Im sure Gerrit Danny Tom Kendal and also the many other Heer collectors that research by the fitting types on these daggers.
    I am still learning and glad you brought this advanced find to the community here.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Kevin we all make new discoveries along the way.
    I have seen that Puma with yellow grip before and passed it, as i lacked reference material.
    For me the Höller 2 wasnt quite a match with a slant grip or with Puma, but we know Puma didnt designed their own guards but bought them from other suppliers.
    The toolmarks on that guard makes them a Höller, but i have seen Klaas daggers with the same guards, so that makes it possible that even fully enhanced guard would have been sold to other companies.

I need to see a few more but i think you might be right this could be a Puma one.

Thx for showing and sharing.

Regards
    Ger

Thanks for comments Ger.. I feel confident more will come out of the woodwork. There has to be a time for all types to be discovered, and as you say this one is coming out now. Interesting that these are all slants and I have yet to see a Holler 2nd with a slant. All three examples I have handled fit very well and are "one lookers" for originality. Also notice all have two throat screws with same type screw, unlike the single rear Holler screw. Trying to remember if the Holler 2nds I have handled are tapered tang pieces like these all are...?