Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?

Article about: Thanks guys. That was what I was thinking. I may clean up the German Dagger and sell it and then keep the Austrian knife.

Default Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?

Hi,
    I have the opportunity to trade a guy for these daggers.
    What type of daggers are they?
    What are they worth in this condition?
    Thank you in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?   Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?  

Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?   Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?  

Last edited by Larry C; 07-07-2014 at 09:59 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?
    P
    Many

I'll take a stab at the army dagger. The pics aren't very good, but it looks like a Holler 3rd, which is a fairly common dagger. It appears to be pretty rusted or corroded, like it was buried in their back yard. The blade looks terrible and the grip is cracked and I think has pieces chipped off at the pommel. It has seen better days, and has very little collector value. In that shape, I would just pass on it if it were me. You can find that same dagger in much better condition probably in the $500 range. Value on this one, I'll just make a guess at max $200 on a really good day.

No clue on the other dagger.

There are some real Heer experts on here though, that can give you a better appraisal. I'm learning the ropes myself, and wanted to give this a whirl. But, I think anyone is going to tell you to pass on the army dagger at least, unless you want it just because it's a piece of history.

The other one is an Austrian WW1 fighting knife with personalised wood grips. Oelmack is an Austrian name. I think I can make out out Monte Cimino - the scene of a battle between the Italians and Austrians in 1916.

?

Fighting knife is very cool, I have seen a couple with carved handles but not often

Here are a few more photos.
    What do you think they are worth?
    I would like to know each and together if possible.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?   Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?  

Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?   Please help!! What type of daggers do i have here?  

Hi Anton..together in the condition they are in..I would be surprised if you could get $200 total. I will not comment on the fighting knife as it does not belong here..and would be best suited in the bayonets of the world forum. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bayon...-knives-world/

It is unfortunate though for the Heer dagger..which appears that the grip is spotted..which is desirable among collectors..but yet at the same time it is cracked and also chipped at the top near the pommel. Exact price on the Heer? ..someone else will have to tell you. I know I would not pay $100 for it in its present condition.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I know this is an old post but the seller finally has come down on his price.
    He offered to sell me both daggers for $120.
    Would you go for that deal?

It sounds like the fighting knife is worth a look. The army dagger is pretty much a relic. At that price for both though, if you really liked them, I don't know you'd be that bad off really. The crossguard on the army dagger isn't in as bad of shape as the rest of the dagger, and those can sometimes be sold on their own even. But, if you buy them I'd encourage you to keep the dagger put together as is. It's still seen 70 years of history, and has seen who knows what.

BTW, why not shoot him a $100 offer and see if he takes it for both. If he's come down to that price, he knows they're not worth much.

With the custom carved and personalized grip, I'd say that price is worth the Austrian knife by itself. If the seller throws in a shaggy condition German Army dagger, so much the better.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

At $120 it is worth it for the pair.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast