Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques

Article about: These slants Ivory grips are the holy grail for the Slant collectors, i have never seen one before, although i know i european collector who ownes one. Im very happy you shared this one with

Hi to everybody,
    I also know this extremely helpful website about daggers! Collectors and websites inspire me to collect army daggers, each - one by one, despite the fact there are a lot of reproductions outside on the marked, high prices and other thinks which make us sad...

Regards, Peter

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques
    P
    Many

One of my Max show 2013 pick ups - Tiger slant with the initial large Tiger maker mark everyone loves. Dagger is in fantastic condition with a large amount of lacquer present rare to see on a dagger of this vintage. Scabbard is one of those early bulbous types hard to explain they just have a unique shaped shell. The crossguard is an early generic type-3 certainly one of the hardest crossguards to find I have only seen a few of these over the years and one that was missing from my collection so I was very surprised and happy to pick up this dagger. This crossguard has previously been attributed to Horster but in my opinion it is an early generic variety. In my opinion three different unique types of these early generic crossguards exist. These early generic crossguards were used on initial production examples by smaller producers who did not make their own fittings in house such as - Voos - Plumacher - Tiger - WMW - Puma – Carl Wusthof – Axt - as a partial list. Most collectors are familiar with the generic A & B crossguards which appeared later in the period and used by the smaller producers. Unlike the later generic A & B these early generic crossguards type-1 type-2 type-3 are some of the most desirable and difficult crossguards to obtain for the army collector. These statements are based solely on my observations and merely my opinion so I welcome any dialog regarding these crossguards.

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques

I'm breathless by the sight of the blade and crossguard ? I can see what you mean by bulbulous. To each makers own trait is their signature. I see this same characteristics of wooden grips. I like dark burnishing in the swaz wreath. A hunters trophy that you have found. Nice!! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for showing this great slant here, its gorgeous
    Great reference material with pics like this!

Regards,
    Ger

Default WKC - Type-1.5

I discovered and introduced this new WKC 1.5 crossguard variation to the Heer collectors on a thread back in August. I was fortunate to find another example while surfing the internet sometimes those many hours gazing result in an acquisition for the collection. I am not sure how rare this crossguard is but have only seen a handful of examples. They are a quality early brass base and manufactured between the type 1 and type 2 I would surmise early 1936 the examples I have and have seen are mated with early pommels-double screw scabbards and tapered tangs with non slant grips. They exhibit beautiful detail and hand work with an eye reminiscent of the Paul Weyersberg guards I love the Cyclops eye as I call it. Really a great looking detailed guard surprising WKC only used this for a very short time frame and in my opinion the WKC guards that followed the 1.5 are not as appealing but I suspect they felt the type 3 commonly called the hatchet beak was a trendy artistic design. Fortunately this dagger has survived the test of time in near mint condition with a grip going the way of a deep red color. The quality of materials and craftsmanship of this dagger are some of the finest you see this level of quality would soon diminish not only from WKC but the majority of producers sometime between 1936-1937 as they transitioned to designs that required little to no hand enhancing and cheaper less desirable materials.

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques
    The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques

?

Tom that is a real beauty!
    Getting into the Heer daggers it shows a variety that one could never think of!
    Thx for showing this lovely blade!

Ger

Hi Tom, you find very nice early Tiger dagger, but I´m surprised by W.K.C. dagger which you have, because for long time I think that W. K. C. used only 4 crossguards - (early 1st. type, 2nd. type, 3rd. type and Generic A), but now I know there is another unique type of crossguard!

Thanks for sharing this wonderfull daggers!

I want also to add new dagger into my thread

Regards Peter

Default A Sedge Of Cranes

Sedge of Cranes. A trio of Early Robert Klaas slant gripped heer daggers. Klaas no doubt made one of the most interesting early army daggers. As evident by these three examples they used a variety of different parts. Compare these initial-early production examples and you can you see they used different types of scabbard screws-scabbard bands-grips even the scabbard tips vary. Klaas arguably sported the best and most prolific hand enhancement of the period even into the later years of production. It’s thought the earliest crossguard examples had little to no hand work and the practice was adopted early in production. Its interesting the crossguard on the center example here exhibits this trait showing little to no hand detail work. The center blade segment on some of these early Klaas have cross grain running Vertically a feature I have only seen on Klaas and Holler. The well known Klaas Asterisk was used on the edges of the scabbard bands throughout the firm’s heer dagger production. As time permits I will add detailed shots of each dagger and point out some specific traits of each. My favorite would be the top dagger it has a glass type grip and a jeweler quality personalization.

This dagger has a glass grip while not the desirable translucent type it certainly exhibits a glass appearance. I have only seen these glass slants on Klaas daggers. Crossguard is extensively hand worked not a spot left untouched you see the familiar punched eye we all love - really the finest type of this work you will see on a crossguard. The back is engraved with the former owner’s initials. Not sure if it JM or TM perhaps Wotan can advise. Certainly a possible research project as we know this dagger was made in 1935 so a look at the 35 rank list may yield some results. The dagger surprisingly has some traces of lacquer clinging to it. The scabbard has tiny domed head screws and bands that are reminiscent of the early Eickhorn & Horster although different. The scabbard rings and scabbard tip are noticeably smaller then the other two examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques   The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques  

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques   The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques  

The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques   The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques  

This example has a unique gun metal patina hard to explain but very pleasing and different. The crossguard at first look appears to have little hand enhancement but upon looking closer its there just buried under a heavy silver plate and patina. Certainly it has less then the other two examples note the head does not have the punched eye really sets this guard apart as we get a better glimpse of what the base guard would look like. This dagger also has the tiny domed screws my guess these would be earlier then the larger flat head screws. Interesting the scabbard bands are running in opposite directions you see this from time to time while these companies strived for perfection at times these things slipped by.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques   The Tom Kendall Heer Collection and Military Antiques  

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast