Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Tom Kendall Military Antiques - Army Crossguard Reference

Article about: Been working on my crossguard reference page here is a link to the page. Tom Kendall Military Antiques-Army Crossguard Reference Of particular interest to army collectors will be these Entry

?

Quote by Tomaz View Post
    What I'm saying is Tom's resembles mine more than Peter's, what I'm also saying is this hand enhancing is "hit and miss" which is another reason not to attribute guards by hand enhancements.

Tomaz.
    Just take the fact that the enhancements made by hand done in Factories like Weyersberg, Höller, and Pack makes them stand out from the rest and define them as "in house"guards (wether enhanced or designed in house)
    What is an early slant Pack without a pommel with it dots? or the scabbardbands without the stylistic rimmed leaves?
    What is a Weyersberg without the lazy egytion eye? the rims behind the swastika and the flaw in the scabbard?
    or what is a Höller 2 without the handwork on the acorns, the wave pattern on the brest, the toolmarks behind the lazy eye and the cresent next to its eye?
    or a WKC 2 without that big lazy eye and great handwork on its beak and the rims behind the swastika?

They all changed the base pattern of the guard in a way that is typical for that factory.
    You immediatly recognize the handwork, its their signature!

They are collectible because of these features, and of course one is done better then the other, or has more features, thats all acceptible.

But your Höller type 2 is lacking ALL these features.
    You said you have done extended research on these Höller type 2, then why you come up with this one?
    Its a nice dagger in very good condition, but it has none of the features i would desire...

If you disagree with all the detailed adjustments that makes a dagger what it is, qualified by years of study that Tom and other Army enthousiastics put into it then I suggest you start your own website and write your own book.

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tom Kendall Military Antiques - Army Crossguard Reference
    P
    Many

I have to agree on the point....that years of documented examples builds a tower of fact until proven otherwise... So there is room for further research if one feels there is a discrepancy in what has been found as common among the varied types.

There is always room Tomaz to further add to what has already been established , but support your findings with hard evidence which does not come within a few months time.

Thankyou Gentlemen for an educational thread and keeping it within the parameters of the topic and also with forum guidelines.

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 11-04-2017 at 02:43 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The answer Ger to all your "what is" questions is that they are what they are, just hand enhanced guards which should be attributed to the actual company who cast the guard, just like most of the others. The companies who purchased these guards may have slightly changed the base pattern of the guard, and i understand that some have recognizable enhancements, but you cant get away from the fact that they still weren't the original/attributable maker.

I know my Holler type 2 is lacking this handwork which i did know about, this was the reason for my research into this enhancement, and after finding multiple examples of type 2's with varying degrees of enhancement, which i have shown an example of on this thread, i found nothing wrong with this dagger and is the reason why i have "come up with" this very nice looking dagger, and just because it has none of the features that you desire does not make it not a textbook Holler type 2. I could even say the enhancements that are typically seen on these Hollers make these ones less desirable because its just another typical example, try finding another one like mine.

I do disagree with your point of view, old opinions are not always the best/right. Maybe in the future i will make my own website or write my own book, i have just had a hand in writing my own navy dagger book which can be seen in the Kriegsmarine section.

Hello Larry, i don't know how much or what constitutes hard evidence but i think my findings have been supported with evidence, its in the pictures i posted and if you check out my thread on page 3 Questions for Danny and Ger on their new army book which is dated 14 may 2016 (one and a half years ago) you will see that i have been questioning these guards a lot longer than a few months.

Well iv'e made my case so i will leave it at that as i know minds will not be changed because that would make their work look wrong.

Best Tomaz.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5