Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

unmarked heer

Article about: I purchased this dagger off e-stand; at first I thought it may be an early Horster based on some of the characteristics but once in hand I now have concerns over the quality of crossguard an

Default unmarked heer

I purchased this dagger off e-stand; at first I thought it may be an early Horster based on some of the characteristics but once in hand I now have concerns over the quality of crossguard and the pommel. The pommel is rough and top is flat. Crossguard is a brass color with some silver wash remaining but also rough. The two screw scabbard and hangers look good. Can I get another opinion? I have some seller pics mixed with my pics for review.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unmarked heer   unmarked heer  

unmarked heer   unmarked heer  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement unmarked heer
    P
    Many

additional pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unmarked heer   unmarked heer  

As I continue to search threads and reference sites (kendall and wardaggers) Im leaning towards the crossguard being Alcoso 3. With regards to the pommel I have not found an example showing a flat top.

Anyone have input or comment on this dagger?
    thanks
    Joe

?

Looking in Witty's Heer book, it looks like maybe an early Horster or early Anton Wingen. The flat top pommel is strange, does it look like it's been polished or ground down? It looks to me like it might be Wigen pommel, Type H in the book. I'm not an expert, so hopefully others will chime in.

Did you know it had a flat pommel before you bought it?

?

Scabbard looks like it could be Horster too. The eagle is strange, I can't find a really good match. It looks like someone hit it on top of the head to hard. I don't want to say it's a bad one; the whole dagger is early, cross guard has nice hand work and it seems to fit together nicely.

No I could not tell from pictures that it was a flat top pommel; it was surprising.
    The eagle's last section of wing is smoothly sweeping so that lead me to thinking Horster or alcoso for the crossguard. Scabbard screws are more flat than domed; I ve seen similar one on an Alcoso in my searches.

?

Hi Joseph,

this early slant grip dagger is a kind of mistery to me.
    I discussed this guard with my friend Danny, and he has seen this one only twice before on a slant grip Höller, and is considered very rare.
    I suggest you should buy you some referencebooks regarding armydaggers, course there is no Alcoso guard that looks even a bit like this one.
    IMO its a combi of a Hörster type 1 and a Pack type 2 crossguard.
    So far this is an unatributed variation, the pommel has been cleaned heavily and this is not hopw it left the plant.

Regards
    Ger

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Hi Joseph,

this early slant grip dagger is a kind of mistery to me.
    I discussed this guard with my friend Danny, and he has seen this one only twice before on a slant grip Höller, and is considered very rare.
    I suggest you should buy you some referencebooks regarding armydaggers, course there is no Alcoso guard that looks even a bit like this one.
    IMO its a combi of a Hörster type 1 and a Pack type 2 crossguard.
    So far this is an unatributed variation, the pommel has been cleaned heavily and this is not hopw it left the plant.

Regards
    Ger
    Thank you for your comments; I am relieved that it is original dagger. I will take your advice on reference materials.

?

Neat to have a super rare cross guard. Makes up for the strange pommel and then some!