Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What are the opinions on this WH dagger?

Article about: Picked this dagger up yesterday at a carboot sale. It seems to be a Holler, looks fine to me, the only doubt I have is the mustard color of the grip. never seen one in this shade of color. M

Default What are the opinions on this WH dagger?

Picked this dagger up yesterday at a carboot sale. It seems to be a Holler, looks fine to me, the only doubt I have is the mustard color of the grip. never seen one in this shade of color. Maybe I'm wrong, but my thought was that the grip has been replaced for a reproduction. The rest looks fine, so I bought it for 150 euros. No hangers or pommel, just as it is. The seller didn't have any story about it, but garanteed me the dagger was original (as most sellers would do!).
    I put it straight back up for sale, see if I can make a small profit on it.
    Hope you guys can figger out if the grip is a good one!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What are the opinions on this WH dagger?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What are the opinions on this WH dagger?

Hello Feuerbach,, welcome to the forum,, could you post some photos as we have some great army dagger guys here, ..so as to give you the best possible advice. Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

So Larry, having great troubles uploading the pictures! Have to enter my password everytime after each picture.

The crossguard, especially the eagle, is not representative of either a 1st, 2nd or 3rd pattern Holler dagger IMO. It looks more like the crossguard from a Herder dagger to me.

Any thoughts on this chaps?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

wardaggers.com - German Army Dagger Crossguard Makers Reference

Back to front in scabbard..Blade back to front too.

I do have some concerns re the swirling pattern to the dot pattern on the scabbard.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade,

That's an excellent link, thank's a lot! Just done a Google search regarding Holler daggers and this popped up.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...l-fake-131513/

That more or less says it all I reckon, whether it be a parts dagger or entirely fake.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I have to agree with Ned! There is also a problem with the pommel having a seam mark and the logo is not a typical Holler type. The crossguard looks good but as not a Holler . type guard. Alot is going on with this one as the price is alot!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Not to sure its a Herder crossguard, the Herder guards have other feathers above the feet. I mean on a Herder crossguard you see two large feathers above the feet, whitch Holler didn't make. But I'm far from an expert on daggers.
    Also Ade, could it be the flash that fools the eye showing swirling patterns on the scabbard, 'cause in daylight it is just plain dotted. But again I am miles away of being a expert on the matter. My main concerns are the strange color handle and the lack of dirt or discoloritation in the deeper grooves of the handle. I pointed this out to the seller, who probably new even less than me, that the handle might as well be a repro and knocked 50 euros of the price.
    I know some handles can get damaged when the dagger is tightend to much, and they can crack or even split all the way. Replacing that with a cheap copy is the easyest way.