Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for Review

Article about: Gentlemen. I came across two Heer Daggers this afternoon whilst browsing an antiques shop. The first a WKC and the second a Fridericus. Both look to be in good untouched condition, but I wou

?

Default WKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for Review

Gentlemen.

I came across two Heer Daggers this afternoon whilst browsing an antiques shop. The first a WKC and the second a Fridericus. Both look to be in good untouched condition, but I would like to hear what the Heer experts think on these two before I consider parting with any cash. The WKC looks to be of superior quality metal than the Fridericus but both do look nice.

The WKC first:

WKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for ReviewWKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for ReviewWKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for ReviewWKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for Review
    WKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for ReviewWKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for Review

And the Fridericus:

WKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for ReviewWKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for ReviewWKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for ReviewWKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for Review

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WKC and Fridericus Heer Daggers for Review
    P
    Many

?

WKC 4th pattern Tomahawk style Eagle, with the typical one side screw scabbard config looks fine to me.
    Fridericus never designed their own crossguard and used Generic parts.
    To be honest it doesnt make a very well impression.

Ger
    i would go for take the WKC....

Hi Ger... an exercise in thought......on the Fredericus dagger..what kind of guard is it..and who may have produced it? Curious..to shed some light on this assemblage. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice text book WKC with the Type-3 crossguard. Like Ger I would pass on the other doesn’t excite me either. late Generic A (LG-A) crossguard quite acceptable for Fridericus but I don’t like the scabbard bands for type or finish.

?

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your thoughts on these daggers.

The Fredericus dagger did look like a late war piece as the fittings appeared to have been made from cheap material, possibly zinc based , the silver plating being almost completely worn away from the pommel. The scabbard bands also look poor quality material but the same as that seen in the pommel, the scabbard bands and pommel seem to have worn at the same rate. The Crossguard also appears to be made from this poor quality material but the silver wash seems to have lasted better.

I understand from some research that Fridericus Heer Daggers with standard blades are scarce. Is this correct and what is the possibility of this being a late war piece with poor quality fittings and scabbard bands?

?

Tom pointed out my greatest concern on the Fridericus, the scabbard bands finish is that bad that i would pass.

JP about rarety....to be honest Fridericus aint that rare to take a bad quality config into consideration, its only the blade name you buy.
    Rarety in case is highly overvalued.

generic A can be found in beautiful highly silverplated versions, let this poor cast metal dagger be....but thats only my advise.

#Tom i would say the last WKC guard like this one would certainly be the 4th....
    #Larry the Generic A is one of the most common guards to be found, like the Generic B high frequently used by most of the small makers that didnt designed their own guards.

Regards,
    Ger

Ger noted I certainly agree it’s the last guard WKC produced and used. Some guy in Texas discovered and presented to the collectors a new WKC guard previously unknown to collectors and dubbed it the WKC Type 1.5 so if you go by this typing method this one would still be the WKC Type-3 so guess it comes down collector preference. Also he discovered and announced another new guard he dubbed the Voos High Lift will collectors embrace this term ? Who knows ?

?

Gentlemen. Thanks for your thoughts.

Would I be correct to believe that the 4th WKC crossguard would date the WKC Dagger between 1936 and 1942?
    I am pretty convinced, based upon what you say that the WKC is worth the investment but to pass on the Fredericus.

In all honesty, the cheap metal and poor castings of the Fridericus did not really appeal to me.

?

Tom we agree on being the last WKC guard

JP take a look at the site of Jon Degens for guards, timeframes etc.:
    wardaggers.com - German WWII Dagger and Collectable Edged Weapon Site

Cheers,
    Ger

?

Jp how much are they asking for the daggers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast