Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WKC Heer Officers dagger.

Article about: Hi Guys. Here is my first officers dagger that I have just bought. I am relatively new to collecting these and have read a fair bit so far but I am no expert. From my research this is what I

Default WKC Heer Officers dagger.

Hi Guys.
    Here is my first officers dagger that I have just bought. I am relatively new to collecting these and have read a fair bit so far but I am no expert. From my research this is what I think I have, if you have anything to add or correct I will be greatful. The photos on a black background are the sellers, the rest are mine. Thanks for looking.
    Army officers' dress dagger By WKC or Weyersburg & Kirschbaum of Solingen. Complete dress rig with hangers and portapee. Of the 3rd type 'tomahawk' headed eagle cross guard. This particular cross guard was utilized from 1936 - 1942. Along with Eickhorn, this manufacturer produced huge quantities of army daggers beginning in 1883 and continuing until the present day. The grip is a type B maufactured from Trolon. The early daggers dating from 1936, as this appears to be, will normally be fitted with a tapered tang (as opposed to the later shouldered tang) and polished blade, the type B grip and the earlier WKC produced pommel (with 12 oak leaves as opposed to the later 14) and scabbard with twin side screws .
    WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WKC Heer Officers dagger.
    P
    Many

Scabbard not third type of WKC Heer dagger.
    And the portepee look odd.

Regards
    Vedran

Quote by Rancid66 View Post
    Scabbard not third type of WKC Heer dagger.
    And the portepee look odd.

Regards
    Vedran
    Thanks for your reply Vedran, the two screw scabbard is one of the reasons I thought it was a 1936 early 3rd type, as in wardaggers.com - German Army Dagger Maker Manufacturer Information Quote: "The early contributions dating from 1936 will normally be fitted with a tapered tang polished blade, the type B grip and the earlier WKC produced pommel and scabbard ( with twin side screws )"
    Could this not be the case ?

?

Hi Steve, Vedran sometimes sounds a bit rude in his comments but he means well You are right that the early WKC scabbards had two side screws but the scabbard on your dagger wasn't made by WKC. Here's an early WKC scabbard to compare yours with. I have to agree with Vedran on the portepee too. I'm not sure if that one was made before 1945. But it's a nice dagger nevertheless. It has the typical third style "tomahawk" WKC crossguard too.

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WKC Heer Officers dagger.  

a nice dagger.

I'm a little short on time.
    Pay attention to the appearance scabbard screws.
    And his position on the scabbard.
    WKC scabbard with one screws, begin to appear during 1936 with WKC 2. type of crossguard model, knocking out production of scabbard with two screws.
    These style of WKC scabbard screws, remains unchanged until the end of production in 1942.
    (Unfortunately this Heer dagger is cleaned.)

Regards
    Vedran
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WKC Heer Officers dagger.   WKC Heer Officers dagger.  

?

Thanks for showing your new dagger, eventho the scabbard isnt a WKC one, perhaps it has been replaced after the Original one was damaged, who will tell?
    I like it.

IMO:
    #Vedran, the comment you make on almost every dagger you see: " that its been cleaned, or polished or heavily cleaned" well unless they stayed off the blade in most cases there is no harm done.
    If you just wait a few years or even more but in time the patina slowly will return.

To use the words that Tom Kendall stated here on WR before, "ive learned to take them as they come"

An advise not to clean would be better in my eyes then just another statement that its been cleaned.....

Cheers,
    Ger

When I talked about the dagger which was a cleaned, I showed my dagger.
    (I would ask you to carefully read my posts.)
    And when someone asks me for an opinion on something, I will always answer honestly, no frills truth.

For example, these two bayonets are untouched.

WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.WKC Heer Officers dagger.

I will say - untouched one, and much beautiful and valuable.
    My choice, for my earned money.
    (Proverb by me.)

Regards
    Vedran
    Last edited by Rancid66; 03-29-2014 at 11:13 PM.

?

Can we get a shot of the scabbard throat opening on the thread starter dagger please?. Personally, I do not have a problem with this scabbard, it may not be a typical WKC production scabbard but that does not mean the original scabbard got swapped out.
    Writing off a dagger purely because it does not adhere to the book ( or my website is fool-hardy.

Many manufacturers used each others parts and quite often you can come across anomalies. Horster for example, a big company, is known for using WKC parts throughout their production, Klass / Pack, Holler / Pack...........the list goes on.

Strangely, I cant actually pin this scabbard down, the screws look like Klaas, Pack or Horster production but placed very low on the scabbard shell, the scabbard bands look more like Pack.

The period of manufacture for the scabbard ties in nicely with the dagger itself, as does the patina and the overall appearance, plus I have seen WKC army daggers with oval screws before, in fact I own one ( wardaggers.com - WKC German Army Officer Dagger ).

Nice dagger and one that I would be happy to own .

p.s Nice to see you wearing gloves to handle it !.

Thanks for all of your replies, now for some more questions. Please bear with me as I am very new to this and would like to learn. Regarding the portapee what makes you think it is later, I tend to agree because the material looks and feels too new when compared to the hangers but is there a manufatuing difference also. Are my other observations regarding the daggers age correct? Please see next post for photo of scabbard throat.
    Best regards
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Harvey; 03-29-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: question answered

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast