Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.

Article about: this is truly beautiful! i had a look at the other gear he sold/gave you. with an amazing story from the sounds of an amazing guy. congratz

Default 1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.

Hi Guys, I though that you might like to see this knife from my collection? I bought this direct from the Veteran who was issued it, Frank Barton. He only ever took it on one raid to Norway. The rest of the time the knife stayed in his billet in Scotland. He was frightened that being captured with the knife would mean a bullet in the back of the neck...

Frank joined the Fusiliers then volunteered for the Army Commandos. He fought in North Africa, where he landed dressed in American uniform as it was thought the Vichy French would be less likely to shoot at "US" troops. He wanted to keep the US M1 Garand rifle. He was later taken POW by the Afrika Korps with about 30 other men after being surrounded and cut off and being low on ammo. Shipped to Italy. His brother was also in POW in Italy: their Mother wrote to the Pope and asked him to arrange for them to be reunited in the same camp. They escaped after the Italians surrended in 1943. He then re-joined No.6 Commando where he was brought before the CO and told he was a total disgrace to the unit for not fighting "until the last man and the last round!". As punishment he had to do his training all over again! Landed on D-Day in Normandy and fought all the way through until VE Day. Frank carried an MP40 during most of the campaign in NW Europe. He kindly gave me an ammo pouch with two mags and loader. When he found that the Army Commandos were to be disbanded and he would be sent back to his old Regiment, he then volunteered for the Parachute Regiment. Got his wings in Palestine and then served a few more years with the Paras until he left the Army. I also have his 1937 pattern cut down "Tankers" web holster in my collection which he used in Palestine. I bought the knife from him in 1993 for £300.

Frank is still alive.

It is believed around 1,200 of these knives were produced.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.   1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.  

1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.   1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.  

1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.   1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.  

Default Re: 1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.

Here is Frank. He is the soldier on the right standing with the rifle over his shoulder and wearing the leather jerkin.

This photo is in many books about D-Day. You may recognise it?

It was first published in the British Sunday Newspaper the "News of the World" the weekend after D-Day. Frank really liked this. Plus that newspaper used to have an image of running rather "saucy" stories. Frank says it is his big claim to fame!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st pattern "FS" Fighting knife with known history.  

Very,very nice find there!! With rock solid provenance like that, this blade is now worth at least 1200 pounds!! Good investment Ade, but i bet old Frank's kicking himself!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned, Frank is a real gentleman. When I bought the knife from him he insisted on giving me the items shown here too:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/field...mmo-pouch-925/

I had to tell him I could not accept them as they were valueable and I was now almost broke. But he was adament that he wanted to give them to me. So I gave him my last £10. He was pleased I had been honest with him and said the money from the knife would pay for a holiday for him and his wife and the tenner would buy him a few drinks too.

Frank always seems more proud of being a Paratrooper than of his wartime service as a Commando. When I see him at rememberance parades etc he always wears his Red Beret, never a Green one.

Cheers, Ade.

?

an absolutely fabulous FS Ade , i love it , with a nice S shape crossguard , congrats on a super example . it`s interesting to see the Horsa in the background of the photo !

cheers Al

That is a great dagger.
    I have always regretted not being able to get the one offered to
    me 20 years ago.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ned, Frank is a real gentleman. When I bought the knife from him he insisted on giving me the items shown here too:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/field...mmo-pouch-925/

I had to tell him I could not accept them as they were valueable and I was now almost broke. But he was adament that he wanted to give them to me. So I gave him my last £10. He was pleased I had been honest with him and said the money from the knife would pay for a holiday for him and his wife and the tenner would buy him a few drinks too.

Frank always seems more proud of being a Paratrooper than of his wartime service as a Commando. When I see him at rememberance parades etc he always wears his Red Beret, never a Green one.

Cheers, Ade.
    Great story of a great man,glad the items are in your hands..What a beautifull knife it is..congrats!

Sadly since this thread was first written, Frank has passed away.

RIP Frank.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I am sorry to hear of the passing of a friend. :-(
    A beautiful example by the way!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ade, first off, sorry to hear of the passing of your friend.

As to the knife, wow, what a truly beautiful example. The provenance vaults this minty 1st Pattern into a category all its own. Easily the best F-S knife I have ever seen. Frank could not have entrusted it to a better home. Congratulations

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast