Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

2nd Pattern Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.

Article about: This is a knife that I inherited from my uncle, who was a US Army airborne soldier taking part in the Normandy invasion. It is in as found (by me) condition. Any help in identifying the type

frozenmouse
    ?

Default 2nd Pattern Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.

This is a knife that I inherited from my uncle, who was a US Army airborne soldier taking part in the Normandy invasion. It is in as found (by me) condition. Any help in identifying the type of F-S knife this is would be appreciated, as well as any other comments. For example, is the wire-wrapped handle unusual (I have no reason to believe it was not wrapped back in the day)? Does the wire wrapping detract (or perhaps add) to the value? Many thanks.

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd Pattern Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.   2nd Pattern Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.  

2nd Pattern Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.   2nd Pattern Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.  

2nd Pattern Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.   2nd Pattern Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife.  

Last edited by rbminis; 10-13-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Edited title to add info

Greetings Steve,

You have what appears to be a very nice conditioned 2nd Pattern F-S Knife a.k.a. “Commando Knife” with some customized wire wrapping and some Macramé Knots’ tied on either end. This decorative knots’ work is usually seen on U.S. Navy MkIIs and I have not seen it executed before on a Commando Knife. I would highly recommend you keep it “as found” as you know who the owner was and it helps tell the story better than if you removed the wrappings/knot just to make it look like all the others (without any provenance) out there. Thank you, for sharing your Uncle’s knife.

Regards,

Lance

Quote by militariaone View Post
    Greetings Steve,

You have what appears to be a very nice conditioned 2nd Pattern F-S Knife a.k.a. “Commando Knife” with some customized wire wrapping and some Macramé Knots’ tied on either end. This decorative knots’ work is usually seen on U.S. Navy MkIIs and I have not seen it executed before on a Commando Knife. I would highly recommend you keep it “as found” as you know who the owner was and it helps tell the story better than if you removed the wrappings/knot just to make it look like all the others (without any provenance) out there. Thank you, for sharing your Uncle’s knife.

Regards,

Lance
    Hello Steve and welcome to the forum!
    I would agree with ALL that Lance has posted.
    Nice example and please leave it the way it is!
    It is certainly a nice example and tells a story in the way it was used and who used it. It appears to me to be more of a cord wrap than wire.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Very envious of a wonderful item. As a former 29 Cdo Regt. vet. these were still available to us in the early 60's and many presented upon leaving the Regiment.
    Please do not attempt to clean or otherwise, keep it as is. Many collectors out there will offer attractive prices for this but I hope you are not tempted especially with such historic precedence. A true family heirloom!
    Tafvs

?

Default Your FS fighting knife

As a former 29 Cdo. vet. your FS knife brought back nice memories. These were still available to us in the early 60's and quite a few were presented to guys on leaving the unit, unfortunately they were chrome plated for display purposes
    A real family heirloom please don't be tempted to sell it or indeed clean it in any way!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tafvs.