Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

3rd Pattern FS

Article about: Howdo folks, I've got a question for you, unfortunately it's one of them questions that everyone hates to answer and I normally wouldn't ask...it's about values! A mate at work is in the pro

Default 3rd Pattern FS

Howdo folks, I've got a question for you, unfortunately it's one of them questions that everyone hates to answer and I normally wouldn't ask...it's about values!

A mate at work is in the process of clearing/selling some of his late father in laws stuff on behalf of his mother in law and in amongst the items is a 3rd pattern FS. I don't know yet if it's a wartime one or a post war knife (he was a collector of daggers, bayonets etc etc but I believe he was also in the RM's so the knife could of been one he'd bought so maybe WW2 or it could of been one from his RM days so maybe post WW2?). The knife is from what I gather in good nick but I believe it maybe missing its scabbard?

I was thinking I might see about offering to buy it but what do I offer? I would like to make a decent offer that means I pay them a reasonable amount without without feeling I've fleeced them (slightly more than a dealer would give them for it) but at the same time I don't want to be paying some of the stupid prices that you see out there on the dealers sites. I do have a couple of FS but I don't collect them as such so don't seek them out so I don't keep my eye on the prices of what they go for hence the question.

So can anyone give me an idea of a reasonable price to pay (roughly) for

a) A war time example in ok condition without the scabbard (and with the scabbard too just in case it turns up).

b) As above but post war.

Many Thanks!

Photos of condition would certainly help.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

A good way to get a feel for the price would be to
    go on Ebay and click on "completed listings" that will
    show what what they have actually sold for.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Photos of condition would certainly help.
    Ralph.
    Aye that's true, I'll have to see if I can sort something out.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    A good way to get a feel for the price would be to
    go on Ebay and click on "completed listings" that will
    show what what they have actually sold for.
    I'm in the UK unfortunately and they don't seem to trust us over here when it comes to knives and as far as I know they are banned on Ebay over here. Overseas prices probably not really applicable over here?

Thanks for your help folks anyhow, I'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

I run across them at gun shows from time to time.
    The average 3rd pattern will usually have a $150
    to $200 price tag on it. So IMO, a fair price for
    a average condition war time #3 would be $100
    to $150. ---- Just my thoughts.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I think Greg's assesment is fair.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

That's spot on cheers, at least I've now got an idea of a figure to work around. Thanks very much!