Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

3rd Pattern FS knife

Article about: Hi Guys, here is my third pattern "FS" knife. As you can see it is in nice condition as is the leather scabbard. I purchased this example from a Veteran who did his National Servic

Default 3rd Pattern FS knife

Hi Guys, here is my third pattern "FS" knife. As you can see it is in nice condition as is the leather scabbard.

I purchased this example from a Veteran who did his National Service in the late 1940's. He picked up the knife back then, which is an postwar made private purchase example. The crossguard is marked on each side respectivly with "William Rogders", and "Made in Sheffield, England". There is some other very small text under the Rodgers mark which I cannot make out.? I don't have any pics of the markings on file, so I will do some once I get chance in daylight.

The blade is blued while the hilt and crossguard (thin type) is black painted. Examination of the gloss black enamel paint under an eye glass shows this was applied over a coat of red oxide primer.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3rd Pattern FS knife   3rd Pattern FS knife  

Default Re: 3rd Pattern FS knife

Hi Ade,
    Arnt they nice looking knives it will take a good design to beat these i think, no matter how old they are they always look good.
    Do you roughly know the value of them as im curious, as i said i think i will look for some more to make a nice collection if poss.
    dave.

Hi Dave, good wartime Third pattern knifes seem to be roughly in the region of £250 now I think?

Cheers, Ade.

Here are the two promised pics of the markings to the crossguard. Sorry for the terrible quality pics. I had real difficulty in even getting these lousy shots.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3rd Pattern FS knife   3rd Pattern FS knife  

?

Hi , lad`s , could someone help me regarding dating a scabbard for a 3rd pattern FS knife in Ade`s postwar example the chape is attached to the leather from the front and the metal is tin ?? and on the 2nd pattern it shows the chape is made of brass and is stapled through the rear for attachment . Do you know the date when the change from stapleing to riveting was done ?

cheers Al

Hi Al, I cannot give an exact date. All my reference books state the change was done "early post war".

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade , thanks for that , i have a couple of 3rd pattern FS and they both have brass chapes to the scabbards but they have been riveted from the rear and not stapled ! I wondered if this was just a variation or if they are post war . One of them is marked similar to yours on the crossguard by william rodgers sheffield , and the other is unmarked as far as i can see .

cheers Al

jetcroft
    ?

I have a 3rd pattern SF knife for sale.
    No markings at all, except "1" on the hilt under the pommel.
    Excellent condition with perfect sheath.
    Probably post war I think.[IMG]f:\weapons\S1030950.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]f:\weapons\S1030952.jpg[/IMG]
    pictures don't seem to be on.
    Private email would show the pictures if you are interested.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Your pic is not showing up. Please see "FAQ" at top right for help.

Cheers, Ade.

3mk
    ?

How much would a modern/fake one cost?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast