Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

4 F-S knives..... think they are genuine - anyone see any problems?

Article about: Here are my 4, but the provenances on the first two are dodgy as they are only word of mouth so, i'm not certain of their authenticity; Annoyed from this ads?   1) 2nd pattern B2 (purpo

ILH
    ?

Default 4 F-S knives..... think they are genuine - anyone see any problems?

Here are my 4, but the provenances on the first two are dodgy as they are only word of mouth so, i'm not certain of their authenticity;

1) 2nd pattern B2 (purportedly from a local of 'reserved occupation', the Royal Observer Corps, and possibly Auxiliers (Churchill's underground army).... or from the 101st airborne who were billeted locally).
    I pretty sure the scabbard is a replacement (totaly different wear and looks more modern anyway)

2) Indian 'ring and dot'. (purportedly from a Far East RAF pilot, but no further details)

3) 3rd pattern. (belonged to a local para and is named 'Stan', but no surname. well sharpened and used as boot knife).

4) Modern one issued around 2008, good markings including broad arrow.

Anyone see any problems with these? more photos are possible.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4 F-S knives..... think they are genuine - anyone see any problems?   4 F-S knives..... think they are genuine - anyone see any problems?  

4 F-S knives..... think they are genuine - anyone see any problems?   4 F-S knives..... think they are genuine - anyone see any problems?  

No apparent problems with any of these. Of course, it’s the three wartime era knives that are most interesting. And these appear to be three genuine examples that have seen wear.

The sheath for the 2nd Pttern B2 looks correct for the knife, but as you correctly observe is evidently a replacement.

The “ringed and beaded” knives are not known to be of Indian manufacture, but rather UK made, although the maker name has not yet been confirmed. Is the cross guard marked with an “I” and broad arrow which might be why you are considering it Indian made?

The 3rd Pattern is the late war version with “thin” machine ground blade.

Thanks for sharing these with us

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I would concur with Tony.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

ILH
    ?

Thanks Tony and Adrian.
    The Ring and Bead one is not stamped I, so i'm gratefull for the correction as i'd always been told they were Indian.

Hello again, and you’re most welcome. The reason I asked about the “I” inspection mark is that some confuse knives with this mark as being Indian made, where it actually denotes knives that were shipped to India stores for use in the far eastern theater of the war. I’ve never seen a Beaded & Ringed with the “I” mark, but am by no means an authority on these knives. Some of these F-S knives may have found their way out there. There were Indian made F-S knives and one particular type had knurled handles made in a way that had the knurling in separate sections giving them a ringed appearance. These are actually much closer in appearance to the 2nd Pattern F-S than the Beaded & Ringed. So whoever told you that the Beaded & Ringed type were Indian made may have been referring to those knives.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne