Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Awards of the FS Fighting knife ?

Article about: I am totally new to this forum so hello to all . I have a keen interest in all WW2 and post WW2 Para / Commando / SF units and the relative actions they were operational in or fought in . I

Default Awards of the FS Fighting knife ?

I am totally new to this forum so hello to all .
    I have a keen interest in all WW2 and post WW2 Para / Commando / SF units and the relative actions they were operational in or fought in . I myself am ex UKSF , so hence the personal interest .
    I am in the process of having a 1st Pattern FS knife made ( mainly as a pass me down heirloom for my Grandson ) by Macdonald Armouries in Scotland as after having researched different manufacturers , they seem to be the main company for anyone wanting a quality reproduction .
    I have researched as much as possible the history of this most iconic Fighting knife but I cannot find any information regarding at what stage the WW2 Commandos were given (or were they presented ?) their personal FS knife , Also , were the Commandos trained prior to the manufacture of the first FS knives supplied with one ? I have seen a few short youtube clips of Fairbairn himself demonstrating his unarmed combat moves whilst training the OSS , but is there any footage of the actual use of the FS knife .
    Just as a matter of interest , My Grandfather personally knew Fairbairn and Sykes from his time in Shanghai prior to WW2 .
    Thanks
    M

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    You may find some of what you are looking for here.
    Home
    The owner Roy Shadbolt, is a long time collector and researcher of Wilkinson FS knives.
    Also, some of our members are avid collectors of FS knives and might have some information for you.
    Ralph.
    I too, am looking for an original 1st. pattern to add to my collection but, they are not cheap!
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

You may enjoy this thread.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/fairb...-knife-668508/
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Welcome to the forum

In his book (Wilkinsons and the F.S. Fighting Knife),Robert Wilkinson-Latham states--

"Those men who passed the coarse were issued with 'chits' for knives which were collected
    from Wilkinsons at 53 Pall Mall London, or issued with F-S knives when they joined their units
    or were going operational."
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

There's an account of a group of trainees meeting the formidable Mr Sykes and Mr Fairbairn for the first time at Lochailort, in Robert Lyman's book "Into the jaws of death";

"We gathered at the foot of a large staircase in a big house and two old gentlemen aged approximately fifty-eight and fifty-six dressed in battledress with the rank of captain and both wearing glasses, appeared at the top of the stairs and proceeded to fall down the stairs together and landed in battle crouch position with a handgun in one hand and a Fairbairn-Sykes knife in the other."

Quite a memorable entrance.