Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Custom Canadian Engineers F/S Dagger

Article about: Here is an interesting F/S Dagger, Came out of the estate of a WW2 Canadian Engineering Officer, the handle has a makers mark, but it is hard to make out, I love the top "screw". I

?

Default Custom Canadian Engineers F/S Dagger

Here is an interesting F/S Dagger, Came out of the estate of a WW2 Canadian Engineering Officer, the handle has a makers mark, but it is hard to make out, I love the top "screw". I have seen a few of these with this sort of handle, but all are a bit different...just an odd bit in my collection

Dean O
    Ajax CanadaCustom Canadian Engineers F/S DaggerCustom Canadian Engineers F/S DaggerCustom Canadian Engineers F/S DaggerCustom Canadian Engineers F/S DaggerCustom Canadian Engineers F/S Dagger

I have never seen one quite like this, Could you maybe take closer photo's of the marks on the blade, and anywhere else for that matter.

?

There are no markings on the blade and it shows signs of being sharpened, and as the handle, cross guard and end nut have been replaced, the only marking is on the handle and I have shown photos of that.
    I know a couple of F/S Collectors and they want this one..and they know more than I, as I have mentioned these are not unknown here in Canada..not common but they do come up from time to time, I have seen other knives used by Canadian with similar handles, including Bowie style blades, I have seen a couple of this style in Canadian Museums that were donated by the Soldiers that used them...a neat item..but not a hard core part of my collection as it is a bit off from what I am after at this time.

Dean O.
    Ajax Canada

CBH
    ?

Looks like a factory blade with a theater made handle , still a very nice item .

These types of handles are often made with pieces of perspex from the canopies/windows of crashed or damaged aircraft, so the engineering officer link seems valid.

Also the red pigment that runs throughout the handle reminds me of a phenol-formaldehyde based glue called 'Resorcinol' that was in use at the time for bonding airframe structures such as laminated wood. When looking at the handle, that's a laminate of perspex (clear and opaque) and brass sheet that probably came from shell cases or similar, so that makes sense. Resorcinol was the original superglue, the first really strong glue that was the equivelent of today's epoxy resin based adhesives, and extremely strong.

It would be interesting to see what the "seal" on the handle is. Maybe a uniform button/badge, or a coin perhaps, that's been heated and then pressed into the handle, it obviously has some meaning, but what exactly??

All in all it's a nice piece of trench art, and I would imagine as such, desirable.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Big Ned, you are the first to know what the "Plastic" is..I use the term plastic as when I use the term persplex...no one knows what I am talking about..and yes, that is what it is. I think the "red" is near the tang and shows up through the handle in different ways according to the light.

Good Eye!!! sa for the imprint, I do think it a markers marks as a button ect would not make the flat mark that is on the handle...but then again, just my thoughts as I am in no way an expert on amything.

Take Care and Thank you again

Dean Owen
    Ajax Canada

It's not a makers mark imo Dean, the whole thing is scratchbuilt by someone in the field, not made in any factory. Take a look at the scabbard, it appears to be made from an old leather belt, maybe a Sam Brown perhaps? I'm also pretty sure that the red stuff is glue that holds all the pieces of brass/perspex together, otherwise on undoing the pommel nut, the whole handle would fall apart like a stack of gaming chips. And if it was made proffesionally complete with makers mark, why are there no others around identical? This knife is unique, a one off produced by a serviceman in his spare time with materials available from the enviroment he worked in imo.

Is there any chance of a better shot of the 'makers mark' so as to have an idea what it actually is??

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

CBH
    ?

The make on the handle looks to be done with a hot coin or something similar .

That's what I suggested in post #5, but it was considered not to be by the O.P.

CBH
    ?

Sorry Ned I miss that . I had several similar handled knives over the years , not as elaborate . With handmade blades , might still have one , I'll take a look around .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast