Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

F-S Knife with Wooden Hilt - Any ideas?

Article about: Can anyone shed some light on this? The guard is marked with a broad arrow and '42' Overall the knife measures 11-1/2" and the blade measures 6-7/8" The "Square" section

They are like Busses- you wait for ages and two turn up!

I asked Roy who runs this site Home

Re the knife - the arrow 42 MoS mark on the cross-guard is the key detail here. This proves that the crossguard started life on a mid-war Third Pattern 'with' a hand-ground blade. As this knife has a later machine-ground blade, the two didn't start out together. Add to this the wooden grip then it is clear this knife has been made up from parts, as blade, guard and grip were never originally manufactured this way.

I hope that helps Jerry? And please feel free to share my thoughts with anyone interested.

Cheerio,

Roy.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I agree with Roy and would like to add two points. Look at the slotted disc nut securing the grip. These (which were commonly used to secure the wooden grips of british bayonets) also turn up on the familiar wooden grips of the wartime commercial FS knives. This detail supports Roy's assessment that this knife was originally made this way. Finally, the two piece riveted scabbard which accompanies the second example is a known commercial pattern often seen with private purchase wartime fairbairn sykes knives. It is a simple construction, quickly accomplished and hence cheaper to make than the "official military pattern". All this suggests this knife is a commercial item and possibly post war (in spite of the broadarrow on the guard!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2