Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

Article about: Just picked this one up today. I believe this is a version 3. Can someone confirm for me? Does it look genuine? I looked it over pretty good and the sheath and knife don't have any markings

Default Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

Just picked this one up today. I believe this is a version 3. Can someone confirm for me? Does it look genuine? I looked it over pretty good and the sheath and knife don't have any markings whatsoever. Thanks
    Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting KnifeFairbairn-Sykes Fighting KnifeFairbairn-Sykes Fighting KnifeFairbairn-Sykes Fighting KnifeFairbairn-Sykes Fighting KnifeFairbairn-Sykes Fighting KnifeFairbairn-Sykes Fighting KnifeFairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

A tricky one to identify. At first glance I'd have thought post-war third pattern (which I'm fairly certain the scabbard is). Unusual to have no markings at all (a wartime one would be expected to have at least the mould number 1-4 on the lower pommel) but as against that, post-war ones have a casting line along the hilt which isn't visible on this one.

So - can't be definitive but I thought at least I'd set the ball rolling......

I agree with Martin, It's a hard one to place but my gut tells me that
    this one is a post war piece.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Post war for me too.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Lightbulb

Since making my first response I've taken a close look at my own wartime 3rd pattern, In addition to the points mentioned, the pommel nut looks wrong and the ribbing on the hilt looks too broad and rounded for wartime manufacture.

It's still unusual to be completely unmarked but if I had to bet on it - I'd say postwar.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    . . . a wartime one would be expected to have at least the mould number 1-4 on the lower pommel . . .
    Bingo. Post war.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I found this info on this knife: Post War Versions - The Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knives

It's an Egginton Group Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife - Modern manufacture.

Nice dagger ! , A FS dagger with no markings is also called "sterile" ,I agree your dagger is post war 100% , I have a soft spot for the FS fighting knife variations .

Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

?

it looks a lot like one i bought in a British sporting goods store for 30 pounds, i cant remember the name of the store, but if the black on the grip looks painted, the cross guard is thin and its says only "sheffield england" i might look it up for you for reference. the scabbard should be a bit on the big side, so you should be able to move it around in there. the blade should be thinner the regular ones, it should not be sharpened, and the finish of the blade should be rough(you can use it as a nail file). maybe even see large gaps between the blade and cross guard?

recognize these properties?
    Last edited by Axium; 05-04-2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling