Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

fairbairn-sykes fighting knife leather scabbard.

Article about: hello everyone!!!Any thoughts on this fighting knife and leather scabbard???Thank u...(sorry for photo quality)

Quote by Tango View Post
    We didn't sign for them just something that was handed along with tonnes of other kit. But just something I thought a little strange to be having!!!It is a modern day knife & where from I haven't a clue??.. Probably private purchase by the regiment when they had a brain fart lol...Cheers Terry.
    I've no idea to what extent the MOD still have or issue these but I have this one I bought a few years back from a dealer who was virtually giving it away. I made enquiries with the makers to confirm it was actually a genuine one that they had made and supplied to the MOD and they confirmed it was, and that since they didn't supply them as such in that particular version as commercial items in the UK then they reckoned in had 'escaped' from the MOD stores or had fell off the wagon somewhere between them and ending up in the MOD's hands (if I recall the dealer had about 3 of these originally so maybe they got 'lost' some where at the makers end?).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture fairbairn-sykes fighting knife leather scabbard.   fairbairn-sykes fighting knife leather scabbard.  

fairbairn-sykes fighting knife leather scabbard.   fairbairn-sykes fighting knife leather scabbard.  

fairbairn-sykes fighting knife leather scabbard.   fairbairn-sykes fighting knife leather scabbard.  

Forgot to say, the knife itself is sterile, totally unmarked.

Very cool to have it mint in the box like that

Yep that's what I thought too! Without the box you would never really look at it as a genuine MOD issue knife, just another one of the commercial items.

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    I've no idea to what extent the MOD still have or issue these but I have this one I bought a few years back from a dealer who was virtually giving it away. I made enquiries with the makers to confirm it was actually a genuine one that they had made and supplied to the MOD and they confirmed it was, and that since they didn't supply them as such in that particular version as commercial items in the UK then they reckoned in had 'escaped' from the MOD stores or had fell off the wagon somewhere between them and ending up in the MOD's hands (if I recall the dealer had about 3 of these originally so maybe they got 'lost' some where at the makers end?).
    That's exactly how the three I was given came in just the same packaging off a friend who was in 1 Para. I think they came from when the Connaught barracks in Dover was SOC in around 2006. He said that the stores carried a couple of cases of them and had last been issued during 1 Para's last tour of Iraq in 2003. They were though available 'on request' rather than being issued to all and sundry. Apparently they were not particularly popular and the blokes often carried a private purchase knife. Another item that was also 'liberated' by whatever means during the move to Wales was a Leatherman multi tool that came in a yellow cardboard sleeve. I had several of them as well.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

That knife looks like mine Mike.. but without the box. Brown sheath the lot....I agree with you there Ned most of the blokes who was with me that issued these knives thought WTF???...I think those days have gone where you can sneak up on somebody with 40lb of kit on & stick it to them..& I wouldn't wear plimsols in Afghan that is for sure lol...Cheers Terry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2