Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Fairburn Sykes Fighting knife

Article about: Hi, new forum member here looking for some info about a family weapon that has recently come into my possession. As far as I have managed to find out from Google searching, this appears to b

Steve
    ?

Default Fairburn Sykes Fighting knife

Hi, new forum member here looking for some info about a family weapon that has recently come into my possession.

As far as I have managed to find out from Google searching, this appears to be a 2nd or 3rd pattern Fairburn Sykes Fighting Knife with a Beaded and Roped handle design.

This knife belonged to my Grand Father and our known history is thus: he joined the army in April 1933 as a band boy (Devonshire Regiment), went to India in October 1933 and Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in 1942. He then volunteered for the newly formed Army Air Corps in 1943 (which became the Parachute Regiment - he was in 2nd Battalion) and was transferred to B Reserve (territorials) in May 1946. He is known to have parachuted into Normandy on D-Day in the first wave of soldiers to go in after the gliders had landed. He is no longer alive.

Pictures are attached I hope. What light can anyone shed on this weapon please?

Thanks.

Steve.

Default Re: Fairburn Sykes Fighting knife

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for showing you Grandad's knife.

These are private purchase knifes based upon the second pattern "FS" knife. I cannot really add much more than that as you have got it covered.

Cheers, Ade.

Steve
    ?

Thank you Ade.

So, were these knives not 'issued' by the army? Should I assume that it was simply bought in a shop?

Is there any way of identifying who it was manufactured by and if it was hand or machine made (there are no manufacturer's marks on it at all)?

Also, it seems that my web searching has revealed pictures of many knives like this and most seem to have the scabbard straps cut off - why is this?

Hi Steve, these knives could be bought from military outfitters by anyone who fancied having one. This site will tell the basic story about them:

f-s fighting knife 2nd pattern

The straps often get cut off: the scabbard will fit better in the pocket made for the knife in the special "Trousers, Parachutist" without them in place.

Cheers, Ade.

your knife is known as the ribbed and beaded version. at the base of the handle you show the military arrow stamp and the number 2. Therefor you can assume that this knife is an official issue one and not private purchase.John

Steve
    ?

Thanks for all the input.

Apologies of this is inappropriate or mercenary, but curiosity asks, what is it worth and would anyone be interested?

Hi Steve, there would certainly be a lot of interest in it. All "FS" style knives are popular with collectors and given this one has some provenance with it and is not a commonly found style, it has a few things going for it. The condition does let it down a bit though.

I am always loathe to assign values to items, but I would expect the value to be in the region of £200 +?

Cheers, Ade.

?

oh no,,,! they had one very close to this knife but i new nothing abought them..oh well,now i do thanks for showing.,!