Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

FS style dagger...

Article about: I bought this Fairbairn-Sykes style dagger a few years ago and need help identifying it. It doesn’t have any markings on it. I showed it to a collector when I first bought it and he showed m

Andy Baillie
    ?

Default FS style dagger...

I bought this Fairbairn-Sykes style dagger a few years ago and need help identifying it.
    It doesn’t have any markings on it.

I showed it to a collector when I first bought it and he showed me a picture of one the same in his reference book on edged weapons, which stated that it is a WW2 Chindit Commando Dagger.

It would be nice if this was the case, but it would be nice to have a second (or third, fourth…) opinion.

It has a wooden handle similar to the post-war Fairbairn-Sykes models, but with a blackened blade.
    If it was one issued out in Burma, perhaps they were made out there locally (would explain why there are no makers markings?)

It’s definitely old and has thread wrapped around the end where the wood has slightly split (although this looks like an original repair)

Does anybody have any info on this please?

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FS style dagger...   FS style dagger...  

FS style dagger...  

Default Re: FS style dagger...

Hi Andy, it is an original wartime private purchase FS style knife.

These wooden grip versions have been attributed as being used in the Far East in various books. But they were not made there. The general thinking is that British makers used up spare blades and added a cheap wooden grip.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Andy,
    Really nice knife i would love to find one on my travels, At least you have some knowedge on it now. If Ade doesnt know there
    arnt many more to ask. well done.
    dave

Hi Dave, you make me blush!

It is just of question of handling a lot of this stuff over the years and being an avid reader.

I think you will both find this site of interest:

fairbairn sykes wooden handle commando knife

Cheers, Ade.

Andy Baillie
    ?

Thanks Ade,

once again you come to my rescue

I'm always sceptical as soon as somebody says "special forces" or "Chindit"!

It's good to have the opinion who's not just getting it out of the first book he looks in.
    lol

As I read this thread I was thinking of referencing a link for you but I now see Ade has already done so.... I have seen other pictures of airmen carrying them so I guess it wasnt too unusual for them to have them making it a little harder to identify this as a "Special forces" blade but it is still a very nice item and like others have said "I hope I come across one one day "
    Tim