Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

FS with theater modified handle

Article about: Hi. Here is a third pattern "thin blade" with a theater modified handle. It was carried in a M8 scabbard. Comments/opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Default FS with theater modified handle

Hi. Here is a third pattern "thin blade" with a theater modified handle. It was carried in a M8 scabbard. Comments/opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FS with theater modified handle   FS with theater modified handle  

Very nice pickup , any cross guard stamps ?

Quote by Australia View Post
    Very nice pickup , any cross guard stamps ?
    There is a very faint "crows foot" mark on the cross guard. I tried to take a picture of it but even with the macro setting it didn't show up clear. I needed a magnifying glass and turned just right in the light to see it. Thanks.

?

whats the blade's length, total length and thickness, length and width of the crossguard?

Quote by Axium View Post
    whats the blade's length, total length and thickness, length and width of the crossguard?
    Hi. Blade length 6.75 inches, Blade width .75 inches(widest point), Overall length 11.5 inches, Guard width 1/8th of an inch, Guard length 2 inches. Thanks.

Hi. I noticed I didn't put any good pics of the M8 scabbard or top nut. Looks like initials CP are carved on the M8. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FS with theater modified handle   FS with theater modified handle  

FS with theater modified handle   FS with theater modified handle  

?

the sizes are spot on for an F~S knife, mine only really differ on the width, slightly wider by about 1/16" (consider metric?) or more.

it almost looks like the size of the handle is made to fit the scabbard. interesting enough there are alot of modifications done with acrylic or whatever that stuff is. maybe a fashion statement? the grinding on the crossguard looks very rough, they are probably machine marks, since sandpaper and files dont go that fast.

i wonder who made it, when and why, but that info is usually not sold along with the blade...

Quote by Axium View Post
    the sizes are spot on for an F~S knife, mine only really differ on the width, slightly wider by about 1/16" (consider metric?) or more.

it almost looks like the size of the handle is made to fit the scabbard. interesting enough there are alot of modifications done with acrylic or whatever that stuff is. maybe a fashion statement? the grinding on the crossguard looks very rough, they are probably machine marks, since sandpaper and files dont go that fast.

i wonder who made it, when and why, but that info is usually not sold along with the blade...
    Thank you. I have seen similar handle mods done during the WW2 period. In the documentary "Apocalypse WW2" There is what looks like a similar clear handled one near the beginning of the episode "Inferno". It dose fit good and the scabbard is also period. Could have been modified at a base or ship using canopy Plexiglas and aluminum. Of course it is just speculation and I don't know for certain.

?

That's the drawback with "theatre-made" objects. they're very interesting to see how someone might modified a knife, but you hardly ever know who did it, where he did it, when they did it and why.

checking this forums i see a lot of plexiglass or some transparent material used on rat tail tang knives. I'm curious why they chose that material. easy to form, or easy to get hold of? maybe its fashion as i stated before.

Quote by Axium View Post
    That's the drawback with "theatre-made" objects. they're very interesting to see how someone might modified a knife, but you hardly ever know who did it, where he did it, when they did it and why.

checking this forums i see a lot of plexiglass or some transparent material used on rat tail tang knives. I'm curious why they chose that material. easy to form, or easy to get hold of? maybe its fashion as i stated before.
    Hi. From what I've read on theater made or modified knives is that spare or downed aeroplane material was plentiful, easy to shape and often mechanics/engineers would make them to sell/trade to the troops. Fashion could be a part of it as well to have a more personalized object. Thanks again.