Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Is this the new F-S MOD knife?

Article about: I was thinking about getting this as a Christmas pressie for myself, but I'm not sure if they're still being issued or the manufacturer is just making them and this seller is selling as mili

Default Is this the new F-S MOD knife?

I was thinking about getting this as a Christmas pressie for myself, but I'm not sure if they're still being issued or the manufacturer is just making them and this seller is selling as military issue. These are the only photos, and he says it comes with a certificate of authenticity. He's asking $89.00.

Is this the new F-S MOD knife?Is this the new F-S MOD knife?

Thank you for your help

Paul
    Last edited by Stinkpotpete; 12-09-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Default Re: Is this the new F-S MOD knife?

Hi Paul, have a look at the last couple of pages of this thread here. It has some info regards the genuine issue FS knives (or what was genuine issue circa 2008/2009 anyhow it may of changed). The makers, at the time, were Eggintons who have a lot of the old Sheffield knife makers under their umbrella, one of which is William Rodgers. I was in touch with them a couple of years back and as can be seen from the thread in the link the issue knives were unmarked but they also produced a commercial version to a similar but slightly lesser spec that were made available for sale, I suspect the William Rodgers one you show will be one of these?
    There are a couple of more links with some extra info...

Pacific Bladeware - the only place I've ever seen the sterile issue knives for sale.

Bit more info on the last couple of pages of this thread too...

?

Here are my 2 Commando daggers. I've bought the black one during my trainingperiod at Training Centre for Commando's (TrgC Cdo) at Marche-les-Dames. (Belgium).
    It's maker is Sheffield, England. The chromed one I've bought in my later unit 1Para at Diest. It's a presentationdagger. Maker is Cooper Sheffield, England.
    Offcourse they aren't period WW2 but also very nice for display. I got to get myself a genuine WW2 Commando dagger some day... :-)

Is this the new F-S MOD knife?Is this the new F-S MOD knife?Is this the new F-S MOD knife?

Regards,

Kris.

?

The price is about right.

K.

Thanks Mike, I had a brain fart and forgot about the crows foot, too. I didn't know that they made civvie versions as well. The price doesn't seem too bad on this one. I'm not a serious knife collector, but it's a cool pattern. Those are very nice blades Kris Thank you again for your time and help guys

Here in the U.K. I know that the 3rd pattern FS knife is still held in stores at certain regiments, but are no longer issued as standard, but can be withdrawn from stores if requested for some operations.. They are all completely sterile, having no makers marks, crowsfeet etc. whatsoever.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I remember reading in the well known book on fighting knives that the RAF at that time were also still including them in their Air Crew Survival Kits (or similar).

Not sure if this is still current.

I was at a gun show this past weekend and found this hand made knife, I'm a sucker for damscus steel. There were quite a few kinfe makers there and the guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse lol I got my pressie, but I think I'll do some more research and get a real one to add with my bayonet collection. Thank you all for your input

Is this the new F-S MOD knife?Is this the new F-S MOD knife?