Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Show your stuff

Article about: Ok guys. I know it's summer for most of us and things are slow--really slow. It's been nealy two months with no posts in the F-S forum. So to generate at least a little activity and have a l

Thanks Greg!!!!

The sheath shows signs that it once had a elastic band. As for the alteration i have no idea of who did this or when it was done. I added these photos for further review. BTW Great thread!

Show your stuffShow your stuffShow your stuffShow your stuffShow your stuffShow your stuffShow your stuffShow your stuff

Looking at the strap, I'd say it's almost certain a period repair to the sheath. Whoever did it,though, knew how to work with leather and did a good job. When you think about it, if you had a F-S and the elastic either snapped or was cut or broken somehow, what else was there to do? You couldn't have your knife wobbling about and slipping out, so the guy who had it came up with a way to fix it and made it actually even better than the silly elastic it had came with. You can see by the rivet with the verdigris that it's been there a Long time and was, no doubt, carried that way throughout the rest of it's lifetime in the field. That, or maybe the guy just didn't like or trust the elastic so he got rid of it and made it better, in his opinion. He probably borrowed the snap strap from an already existing piece(it looks like it's one of the types that threads through a slit in the belt hanger rather than being attached to it, and was too long to fit, so he trimmed it down and reattached the snap bit to where it needed to be. He made do with what he had available and made it work. I like it-it gives it individual character.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I agree. I have no problem believing that this is a period repair.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

This repair would also allow more flexibility while carrying the knife. It would allow the sheath to move about more on the belt loop while holding the knife firmly in the sheath.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

William, Greg and Ralph

Thank you for sharing your opinions, i appreciate it!

Mart

Here are my two. The third pattern was given to me by the son of original wartime owner (he made combat jumps and ended up as a jump master although looking at the knife I don't think it ever came out of its sheaf). The other knife is a rare alloy hilted version.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your stuff   Show your stuff  

Show your stuff   Show your stuff  

Show your stuff  

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Here are my two. The third pattern was given to me by the son of original wartime owner (he made combat jumps and ended up as a jump master although looking at the knife I don't think it ever came out of its sheaf). The other knife is a rare alloy hilted version.
    Very nice selection , nice and untouched .

?

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Here you go Greg , here's my beat up well used FS 3rd pattern.Bought it via a picker who found it at the local tip for £40 ! only marking is the number 2 mold mark , correct me if I'm wrong but am I right in thinking that this makes it late WW2 issue ,Regards, Paul

Attachment 985070Attachment 985071Attachment 985072Attachment 985073Attachment 985074
    £40 .....thats sweet
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Grimebox,
    Thanks for adding to the thread.
    You have a couple of very nice knifes and very nicely presented. I like that
    picture with the headgear and sten gun.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 08-07-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

They are still out there ....a thousand people must have walked past this buried on a car boot sale table until I saw the rings and a vague lightbulb moment occurred..cost ? a whole £4..i didn't haggle

Show your stuffShow your stuff

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast